Free Shiners!?

• IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

Thought this would be interesting.

Where is MN fish with this one?

OK, Can’t get the link to work..

There is a video going around on the BookFace with Steve Johnson (Johnson’s Portside) talking about a new bill to allow the transportation of bait across state lines. I would love to see this through so i don’t have to pay $1.25 a dang minnow.

Maybe if someone else is more computer literate they can post the video?

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I assume you’re talking about golden shiners? The majority of supply of those are from Arkansas. I think the importation ban on live bait was primarily to reduce the spread of Viral Hemorrhagic Septicemia (VHS), as golden shiners from Arkansas were shown to be a carrier of the disease.

I used to work for the DNR when this specific importation ban on golden shiners started and I can recall this being released as the reason in a memo from the top.

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

Thanks for that Sharon!

Gimruis, that is interesting. Never heard of it before. A quick search reveals that it doesn’t spread easily but, I can definitely see it being an issue.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Can some one post the emails if anyone has them to the Senate and House to make it easier to let them know I/we support it?

Sharon
    SE Metro

This wording is posted in a comment on the video:

Good afternoon,
    I would like to see legislation passed to import minnows into the State of Minnesota through controlled certified minnow producers. Neighbor states are doing in successfully and can be used as models. We are paying way too much and the supply is limited versus demand.
    Thank you for your consideration.

Is this helpful, John?

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

Can some one post the emails if anyone has them to the Senate and House to make it easier to let them know I/we support it?

From the original post on FB

Get involved, support the Bill
    Senate info 651-296-0504
    House info 651-296-2146

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

This wording is posted in a comment on the video:

Good afternoon,
    I would like to see legislation passed to import minnows into the State of Minnesota through controlled certified minnow producers. Neighbor states are doing in successfully and can be used as models. We are paying way too much and the supply is limited versus demand.
    Thank you for your consideration.

Is this helpful, John?

It is Sharon thanks. However I was wondering about email address I’m sure I can research it.

Sharon
    SE Metro

It is Sharon thanks. However I was wondering about email address

Oh duh, that’s my bad! smirk

The SCRATCHER
    spring valley mn

Good job Sharon! THANK YOU

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I could care less about paying $1.25 for shiners. I just want to be able to get some past January!

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I could care less about paying $1.25 for shiners. I just want to be able to get some past January!

Agreed. If I didn’t know the bait shop owner near me I would be limited to 6 shiners a day. I do want them to be cheaper. But thats all bait

Snake ii’s

Can Goldie’s be seined in MN anymore? I used to do this a lot in my youth. Green Lake between Cambridge and Princeton used to have a decent population.

We also seined a lot of various minnows out of the Rum River, usually only river shiners that don’t survive long.

Winter time we would use minnow traps placed in various creeks in Isanti county. Rarely bought bait.

marbleeyes24 (Larry)
    Nevis

I spoke to Bruce Anderson’s office and he supports minnow importation. Make sure to get on the phones and reach out to get this bill passed!

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Can Goldieā€™s be seined in MN anymore?

Yes, they can. With a valid bait license you can also sell or distribute them within the state boundary.

The issue with golden shiners is that there simply isn’t enough supply within the state. Traditionally, only about 30% of them originate here. When the import ban on live bait took effect years ago, it cut off the bulk of supply for golden shiners from Arkansas. So obviously the supply went way down and the cost has gone up, as you can see from posts in this thread. Sometimes you can’t find them at all and when you do, they’re very expensive.

There are other types of shiners too that don’t cost as much and have better survival like rainbow shiners or spottail shiners, etc. Goldies seem to have that “shimmer” like reflection that attracts fish better IMO

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.