Francis case walleye

• boos1906

Hey guys just made two trips to Pierre and have decided it’s a long drive lol. Wanting to learn how to fish Francis case. How do the walleye migrate throughout the system? Same tactics work as on oahe and sharpe? Do most guys pull bottom bouncers? Any guides you guys recommend I could hire to get used to the system? Thanks guys.

snelson223
    Austin MN

Platte Creek Lodge. I would stay there and they have a guide service there too. I haven’t used their guide service but Tom & Nova are super nice. Bottom bouncers and cranks would be a good place to start.

boos1906

Platte Creek Lodge. I would stay there and they have a guide service there too. I haven’t used their guide service but Tom & Nova are super nice. Bottom bouncers and cranks would be a good place to start.

Thank you for the information. What time of the year will the fish be around platte? Where does most of the fishing go on in the fall?

snelson223
    Austin MN

Fish are there all the time. Spring time the fishing is better around Chamberlain but you can still catch fish in Platte area. They ice fish it too if the ice is good so I would say they will still be there in fall.

boos1906

Fish are there all the time. Spring time the fishing is better around Chamberlain but you can still catch fish in Platte area. They ice fish it too if the ice is good so I would say they will still be there in fall.

Thank you for all you’re help. Just wondering around chamberlain is there many sandbars or anything to worry about? I know there are on the upper half of sharpe.

tornadochaser

Thank you for all you’re help. Just wondering around chamberlain is there many sandbars or anything to worry about? I know there are on the upper half of sharpe.

There are some shallow flats off the main channel that you have to be careful navigating right now. Pop into any of the bait shops in Chamberlain/Oacoma and open one of the lake map apps on your phone and the employees or locals hanging out might be able to give you some tips on places to avoid or watch out for. The fishing has been good; some days you’ll hammer them, some you wont. Plenty of guys working bouncers/spinners/slow death on points and breaks, plenty of guys doing nothing but leadcore cranking right now, especially over the flooded trees. Tons of info out there on forums and youtube on fishing Francis Case in the summer. A buddy and I might be out that way tomorrow, waiting for the afternoon NWS weather discussions to get posted first.

boos1906

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>boos1906 wrote:</div>

There are some shallow flats off the main channel that you have to be careful navigating right now. Pop into any of the bait shops in Chamberlain/Oacoma and open one of the lake map apps on your phone and the employees or locals hanging out might be able to give you some tips on places to avoid or watch out for. The fishing has been good; some days you’ll hammer them, some you wont. Plenty of guys working bouncers/spinners/slow death on points and breaks, plenty of guys doing nothing but leadcore cranking right now, especially over the flooded trees. Tons of info out there on forums and youtube on fishing Francis Case in the summer. A buddy and I might be out that way tomorrow, waiting for the afternoon NWS weather discussions to get posted first.

Thank you for the information. What are some good forums guys other than this one and walleye central? Tried doing a google search for South Dakota fishing forums and didn’t find much. The ones I did find hasn’t been any activity for quite some time.

jbg1219
    NW Iowa

Boos, where are you from? I fish that part of the river, my folks have a place there and fish it pretty much every weekend. It is about 4 hours for me to get there, about 5.5 to Pierre. If it was not for the free lodging and good meals, I would probably make the trek to Oahe more.

As far as SD fishing forums, I have not found any real good ones. Other than social media to get reports from guides. Fishinghutch.com for the pierre area is about as good as it gets. Allen’s Hillside for Chamberlain area is not bad… get further south and it is all pretty much word of mouth. I am fortunate enough to get a stream of pictures sent to me on my phone from my dad, and a few others from way up north in SD to keep a pretty good pulse on the action out there.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.