Ford Explorer (2.3 ecoboost)

• uninc4709

Wondering if anyone here has the 2.3 ecoboost in an explorer and how it handles towing a boat… the jump between the 2.3 and 3.0 ecoboost options are insane.

Adam Steffes

This might be an unpopular opinion, but an explorer is a car with a big body on it. There is not a solid chunk of iron anywhere under that car and towing anything is sketchy at best. I would look for something with a frame if you plan to tow. As my buddy said once, I wouldn’t hang a bike off that hitch much less put a trailer on it. Others here will say they have done it for years with no issues.

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

It all depends on what you are going to tow. The current generation Explorer 2.3EB/AWD is one of 3 finalists for when I need to purchase a vehicle a year from now. For my 16.5’/50hp rig, it will be just fine. My wife’s 2.0EB/AWD Edge handled it quite well.

I’m not dragging a 621 though,,,,,

HRG

Brad Dimond

This might be an unpopular opinion, but an explorer is a car with a big body on it. There is not a solid chunk of iron anywhere under that car and towing anything is sketchy at best. I would look for something with a frame if you plan to tow. As my buddy said once, I wouldn’t hang a bike off that hitch much less put a trailer on it. Others here will say they have done it for years with no issues.

Agreed, “mid-sized” SUVs are essentially station wagons. Ford Explorer, Dodge Durango, Jeep Grand Cherokee, etc., all lack the frame to do any significant towing. Small boat, small trailer, etc., are manageable but nothing bigger. I had a 2001 Durango with the 4.7 liter V-8, it was a beast. Ran it in to the ground by 2014 and looked at a new Durango. Was disappointed that it wouldn’t meet my needs. No ladder frame, nothing I’d hook up to a truck in a ditch to pull it out. My 2013 Honda Pilot is an OK vehicle but I don’t tow much with it. Will be buying a half-ton pickup next to be my retirement vehicle.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

My wife’s old 2011 Edge with the 3.7L naturally aspirated V6 pulled our Impact 1775 a lot better than I expected it to the one time I had to do it.

My 2016 Silverado pulls whatever I need it to. Wife’s 2016 Tahoe pulls better than any pickup I’ve ever pulled with, and it’s only got the 5.3 but the self-leveling rear end really makes for an outstanding pull. 17 mpg pulling the boat with the Tahoe vs. 12 mpg with my silverado.

I would just assess your needs. That explorer with the 2.3 should be fine for most boats, but know the limits and buy accordingly.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

This always comes up and I know some of the guys on here are willing to pull there boats behind some of the little suvs. I would not be comfortable with using it more than a couple times here and there. Do you need a 3/4 ton diesel, well no but a full size suv is going to be safer and not as hard on it over the years.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I would vote no. Same as others. Lack of frame is a big deal breaker. That and the ecoboost part.

uninc4709

Looking to capitalize on ridiculous trade in on the wifes current escape where the dealers offering more than we paid, and dumping off my truck thats rusting while the dealers are still willing to give me over 10k for.

Not set on the explorer, but will likely get an SUV of some sort and I will get a truck once the market figures itself out. Personally I don’t get the hate on the ecoboosts, they’re a hell of a lot more fun to drive than the NA v8s.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

they’re a hell of a lot more fun to drive than the NA v8s.

Proof positive that fun is subjective lol

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

they’re a hell of a lot more fun to drive than the NA v8s.

I do not agree. The sound from a v8 is hard to beat, I rather listen to that v8 then that little whiney turbo any day.
    Now if we’re talking about a actual motor with turbos, then yeah absolutely but that 2.3 doesn’t fall in the fun category

mnfisherman18

Glad to see the “You need an F-350 to tow a duck boat” crowd is still thriving here. I am mostly joking, but in all seriousness surprised by some of the comments saying they “wouldn’t tow anything” with an explorer.

The specs on the 2.3 appear to be about 280 HP and 310 lb-ft of torque. Those numbers fall right in line with most mid-size SUV’s today and for reference are similar or better than fords 4.6 V8 used throughout the 2000’s (smaller option in the F150). Related to the frame, I have no idea why people are telling you that you need a full on ladder frame to tow anything, but I am pretty sure manufacturers would not all have 5000lb+ towing limits on every mid-size SUV if there were mass instances of the frames breaking in half.

I’ll share my personal experience towing my 18 foot Crestliner with a Honda pilot. It was adequate – felt fine overall. Sure I wasn’t setting any acceleration records and the suspension was a little soft in back, but it was okay for my needs. Overall I think it just depends what you’re towing. If you are planning to go over 3300 pounds regularly then step up to a full size SUV/truck. If your towing a 17′ tin boat, you’re probably just fine.

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

Glad to see the “You need an F-350 to tow a duck boat” crowd is still thriving here. I am mostly joking, but in all seriousness surprised by some of the comments saying they “wouldn’t tow anything” with an explorer.

From what I’m reading on other forums, F-450’s are getting real popular. The IDO crowd needs to up its’ game.

HRG

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mnfisherman18 wrote:</div>

From what I’m reading on other forums, F-450’s are getting real popular. The IDO crowd needs to up its’ game.

HRG

I’m not much of a overkill kind of guy. I have a regular half ton. I was just giving him a honest opinion on towning anything with that vehicle. Unless it’s a small boat. But the f550 is definitely the next tow rig for the 14 ft aluminum row boat.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Not set on the explorer, but will likely get an SUV of some sort and I will get a truck once the market figures itself out. Personally I don’t get the hate on the ecoboosts, they’re a hell of a lot more fun to drive than the NA v8s.

Don’t buy the “you can’t tow with SUVs” BS. This is just a justification excuse for guys to buy the overpriced pickup they want to buy anyway so they can use it 98% of the miles as a suburban grocery getter.

You can tow up to the max weight as rated by the manufacturer. That’s the answer. Explorers in most trim models for a long time were rated to 5k, but check the specs yourself.

I’ve had a series of Chevy and GMC SUVs and I’ve towed everything up to and including the max-rated weight for thousands of miles without a single issue. There’s absolutely no reason you can’t tow with an Explorer.

dirtywater

You can tow up to the max weight as rated by the manufacturer. That’s the answer. Explorers in most trim models for a long time were rated to 5k, but check the specs yourself.

This is really the only response on this thread you need to pay attention to. They publish specs like towing limits and tongue weight in the owner’s manual for a reason.

uninc4709

Thanks for the responses. I don’t think my 175 competitor sport comes even close to 3,000 lbs loaded. We will see what we decide!

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>uninc4709 wrote:</div>

Don’t buy the “you can’t tow with SUVs” BS. This is just a justification excuse for guys to buy the overpriced pickup they want to buy anyway so they can use it 98% of the miles as a suburban grocery getter.

I’ve had a series of Chevy and GMC SUVs and I’ve towed everything up to and including the max-rated weight for thousands of miles without a single issue. There’s absolutely no reason you can’t tow with an Explorer.

Lol, just answering the question. As to towing at max rating, we’ll thats no fun. I never like being that hard on equipment. And for my over priced grocery getter, she was 23k brand new and now is worth more then that, which is more of a saving then a small suv. I tow everyday so I have some knowledge of what I’m saying. Yes you can max out a vehicle any time you want but is it comfortable, no not at all. If your boat is 3k I’m sure that explorer will pull just fine, just get the tow package. Tow rating on that is around 5k with the right package. Would it be my choice, no to hard on a vehicle if it’s going to be towed alot. Not sure who said suvs can’t tow, but some of the newer suvs are just big cars. Nothing like my 98 tahoe.which had a frame. But what would I have a clue, I just run a overpriced grocery getter 👍

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

Thanks for the responses. I don’t think my 175 competitor sport comes even close to 3,000 lbs loaded. We will see what we decide!

Go big, or go home!

HRG

Attachments:
    1. Class-8-twin-V12s.jpg

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I have a 2012 2.3 that has been towing my 3,000 lb 17.5 ft Nitro for the past 4 years. Nothing has broke on it and towing is not a problem. Can you tell it’s back there? Yes. Do I have any problems starting or stopping? No.

All that being said, would I rather be hauling it with a truck? Of course. But I’d have to sell the boat to buy that truck. jester

Walleye Hungry

Wife has 2021 2.3 Ecoboost w/towing package that she loves. With that being said, the boat has only been attached to the Silverado but I wouldn’t be surprised if the snowmobile trailer finds itself on the Exploder this winter.

5300lb “towing capacity” for the record. Take that as you may

Anonymous
    Inactive

With the litigious society we live in, I bet the tow ratings are about 75% of what they will do safely. I am not at all suggesting to tow more, but it will certainly tow the max without problem.

mnfisherman18

I think the explorer would be well within its limits towing a 175 competitor. I will agree with Bearcat through, towing right at the max with any vehicle is generally not a fun experience. In my earlier example with the Pilot, there’s no way I would feel comfortable consistently towing a Ranger 620 with it.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I wouldn’t personally tow something at or near capacity either, especially long distances. I prefer to give myself a little bit of a buffer. That being said, the Explorer is a fine SUV and it can tow things with ease as long as they are not big and heavy. Mahtofire gave a perfect example of how he uses his with the Nitro boat without issue for years.

stevenoak

I’m so far, a big fan of the Eco Boost. 3.5 in a F150. Pull a 185 Alumacraft with 115 and 9.9. Pretty loaded. Having done it, not sure the 2.7 wouldn’t have been fine. I can’t tell the boats there, even in hills. Compared to my 5.3 Sierra. That mileage dropped from 14 to 4 mpg in any kind of hill. The torque difference is unbelievable. My wifes Pilot actually pulled it better. My concern with towing with small SUVs. More the smaller brakes, and transmission’s ability. My brother towed a Pathfinder Bay boat to Florida and back every year. Had to stop for transmission overheat a few times.

Adam Steffes

I think you will have plenty of power to tow a boat but the PTU on these FWD with rear wheel assist cars is super cheap and tends to cook the lube to the point they just grenade on you. I also worry about a hitch that is attached to nothing other than a sheet metal stamped structure. Especially after a few years when salt and corrosion have had a chance to start. I probably wouldn’t worry too much about the trans because most run in direct drive in any gear they please so the heat load is much lower. Older rigs would use converter drive in any gear other than top gear and smoke the trans on you going down the highway in 3rd.

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

I think you will have plenty of power to tow a boat but the PTU on these FWD with rear wheel assist cars is super cheap and tends to cook the lube to the point they just grenade on you.

You do realize that when the 6th gen Explorer was introduced in 2020, it went to the RWD CD6 platform (U625).

HRG

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Adam Steffes wrote:</div>
    I think you will have plenty of power to tow a boat but the PTU on these FWD with rear wheel assist cars is super cheap and tends to cook the lube to the point they just grenade on you.

You do realize that when the 6th gen Explorer was introduced in 2020, it went to the RWD CD6 platform (U625).

HRG

Correct.

Adam Steffes

I stand corrected on the drivetrain update – thanks.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

“Towing” is such a general term that without more specifics, anyone here who has shared their opinion is guessing whether they admit it or not.

To some people, “towing” is dragging the boat on weekends to the local city launch 3 miles away at 45mph. To some people, “towing” is being able to haul your rig across the country at 75mph wherever, whenever you want without a hiccup. Some people drive the same while “towing” as any other time, while others are well aware of the braking capabilities/limits with an increased load and are defensive. Until we know more of your intentions, it’s hard to give a recommendation.

My FIL tows a brand new 22′ Ski Nautique slalom competition boat with his wife’s brand new Acura MDX as he doesn’t like using his trucks to do it as they’re usually hooked to something. He says they are for “work” not play like boating grin . It’s a ~4500# boat dry. He lives 2 miles from the launch and probably doesn’t hit 40mph. I’d still consider this substantially safer than the guy towing his 17′ aluminum boat with a diesel at 85mph up the highway from the suburbs weaving in and out of traffic while telling people they need more truck to tow or please their wife.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.