Ford Explorer (2.3 ecoboost)

• Mr. Derek
    NULL

Towing at max weight without exceeding max tongue weight, or gvwr usually takes a perfect setup. In ford’s towing guide it looks like a 150 lb driver, no passengers, no cargo, and 10% tongue weight depending on the trim level. Towing 3k will definitely be more flexible but you still could exceed the gvwr with 4 guys, gear, and 15% tongue weight. Maxing out the vehicle will likely not be a very comfortable ride so it depends on how you plan to use it.

stevenoak

Didn’t see mentioned how many miles you tow in a year. If your hitch is empty 98% 0f the time. I’d go with what’s best for that use. Not the 2% you tow. As long as your towing is within limits. Just don’t push it. I do multiple 400 mile plus trips with the boat. And haul half the stuff we own to Florida once a year. So make use of the full-size truck. Last year maybe 8,000 of my 25,000 was towing or loaded. Retired and only drive to town once or twice a week.

Dan Baker

I had a 2015 Explorer with the Non boosted 3.5l. I towed my Balyiner 175 thousands of miles with it. It was very capable for that boat. Use that information as you like.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I’d go with what’s best for that use. Not the 2% you tow. As long as your towing is within limits.

I had a 2015 Explorer with the Non boosted 3.5l. I towed my Balyiner 175 thousands of miles with it. It was very capable for that boat.

C’mon you guys. What are you trying to do with all this common sense, get your IDO Max It union cards pulled or something?

I think what you both meant to say is, “Hell yes you need an F-350 diesel chipped to put out 700 HP. That’s a bare minimum for the weekend guy who only trailers his boat across the street.”

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

If the guy asks a opinion and I give a opinion on what I think of the vehicle as a tow rig. I give him my honest opinion, bit it’s wrong because some one else knows everything from the ground up. Of course the rig will pull it 8 miles, my old corsica would. But is it a great hauler long distance with out a frame under it, probably not. But then again, I know nothing besides having a over priced grocery getter that never pulls.
    I could pull my 17 ft boat with our buick envision. But I never would. But some one else maxs out tow ratings on vehicles for thousands of miles, like that’s a bright thing to do

Dan Baker

But some one else maxs out tow ratings on vehicles for thousands of miles, like that’s a bright thing to do [/quote]

Well my Explorer had the tow package and was rated to 5,000lbs, and my boat and trailer were 3,500lbs. Seemed a reasonable thing. Now my F150 is rated to tow 11,500lbs and my boat and trailer are still 3,500lbs. I like my truck a lot, but I also really liked my Explorer.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

But some one else maxs out tow ratings on vehicles for thousands of miles, like that’s a bright thing to do

Well my Explorer had the tow package and was rated to 5,000lbs, and my boat and trailer were 3,500lbs. Seemed a reasonable thing. Now my F150 is rated to tow 11,500lbs and my boat and trailer are still 3,500lbs. I like my truck a lot, but I also really liked my Explorer.
    [/quote]

I didn’t know how heavy of a rig the op had when I said it wouldn’t be my choice. And I was referring to the post that said he maxs out ratings and drives thousands of miles. That is not advice I would give or take. Not a great way to treat a nice new rig.

stevenoak

I don’t think it’s any safety concern towing with a unibody vehicle. Within the limits of the hitch and vehicle specs. What I will say, the hitch is bolted to the same metal structure as your seat and steering. No rubber mount to body like a framed vehicle. Can feel and sound like the boat is coming loose from the hitch. I have towed with my wifes Pilot. Always sounds like somethings wrong. The adjustment on the coupler can help that.

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.