Food plot 2019 looks great

• haleysgold
    SE MN

With all the rain this year, the food plots are nuts.
    Going to be some good eating with the cooler temps and this stuff sweetens up!
    Winter wheat, Winter rye, Peas, PPT, Radish, Rape all sandwiched between the corn.

Attachments:
    1. 20190904_172533_resized.jpg

2. 20190904_172519_resized.jpg

3. 20190904_172314_resized.jpg

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

Oh my, that does look amazing. Going to have some phat deer this year!! waytogo

castle-rock-clown

So what were your hunting results with those awesome food plots?

haleysgold
    SE MN

Well, keep in mind, my property is well, I’ll call it special. I’m sure you’ll think I’m full of it…but it is what it is.
    I pass on more bucks in a season than a lot hunters see in a lifetime. I don’t see a lot of bucks that meet “MY” requirements so they don’t get shot. The big boys are around but maybe I’m just not good enough to get many of them.

This year was weird, like every farmer will tell you but there was an abundance of food in the area, still standing corn with 1/4 mile of me.

The food plots draw in a ton of deer, they will all winter. I see 10-20 every night. By the way, my house sits within a couple yards of it all. As the winter goes on and IF the next door corn gets picked, my plots will draw 40-60 deer a night.

I’ll stop there but the plots are an absolute magnet. Without trying to come off as a blow hard, I could shoot 8 points and smaller bucks every night of the year and does as well. Ok, not every night but you get the point.

My wife and I shot 3 deer this year. An 8 point and 2 does. We have lots of venison and enough to share. I do all the butchering, grinding, and sausage myself. 3 is plenty.

castle-rock-clown

That is awesome! It’s no way bragging, it’s a nice report on how your efforts are paying off. I am new to food plots, but am going in whole hog and hope to turn our 40 into a deer paradise. We are blessed with deer using our property and hope to hold them better, and fatten them up. I enjoy watching them as much as shooting the occasional one. Thank you for your report.
    Dave

haleysgold
    SE MN

Dave – Glad you took my post in the right context!
    It is a blast watching them. I’ve spent a ton of money buying equipment, seed, planting apple trees and pines, hinge cutting to provide bedding and places for does to escape pesky little bucks but enjoy the hell out of it.
    Some things I’ve learned that you might use.
    Variety ! Except for Corn which I can’t plant enough of. They eat the stuff from the time it comes out of the ground until it’s gone. But planting greens is good too. I see them grab some greens, get some corn and then back to the greens. Browsers that’s for sure. I’ve heard chicory is good too which I haven’t done but will try next year.
    Also, planting stuff for does to hide from the vision of little bucks. Them little shits harass the does to no end. I make sure to plant some stuff that blocks their vision to the whole plot. Corn works in strips, pines, tall grass.
    I only have about 9 tillable so your 40 acres will make a fantastic draw. Doesn’t all have to be food as stated above
    Good luck, have fun with it!

deertracker

I pass bucks every year most would shoot. My buddies get mad when I show them pics. They always say, no way would i pass that. The curse of having good land. I also have only shot 1 buck in the last 5 years. But I know what’s out there.
    DT

sticker

All GREAT advise Haleysgold!!! waytogo

castle-rock-clown

I’ve got mixed hardwoods with patches of pine. My stand has two expanses of about 3/4 acre each of viburnum. These will be my first to clear for planting food plots. Clearing is my first task as soon as the frost leaves the ground with amending the soil for ph as I’m giving it, it’s first till.

The more you guys talk about your layouts and planting choices the better. Seeing what works and what doesn’t helps immensely. I don’t mind spending money, I just hate wasting it, lol

haleysgold
    SE MN

I learned a lot from guys like sticker and grouse on here. It’s a lot of experimenting since what works in SE MN may not work in N MN.

Sticker, DT, Grouse and others here know there are big deer we get on camera or see and never get a shot. Where do they go? Don’t know but they are close and everytime out, might be the day he shows up. Keeps us going. Meantime, we keep some does in check, watch the circus and plant more stuff next year!

Which reminds me, need to send another nasty gram to the DNR about removing the APR regs. I have not seen any benefits of it and in fact, would like to see some of them little bucks tipped over. The smarter ones will survive to torment me another year!

sticker

I was just putting together a seed order with Grouse and he said hunting season must be over, you are working on seed orders. It’s time to get started making a plan. I am going to try milo, alfalfa max, and liberty beans to change it up this year. Still got more planning to do though. toast

haleysgold
    SE MN

Sticker – do have any beans left after Nov. 1st?
    I’m planting forage beans, but a different brand than you. If I plant them any father than 50 yards from the house, the deer chow em off so fast, by Nov. I have nothing. They make great summer/early fall food source but not a winter plot for me. The ones close by the house are 5 foot tall and once the pods are dry, the deer come closer and polish off the rest of it. Stalk included even brown!

So for me, I’m not planting anymore. They have plenty to eat during the warm months.
    Prime example of what works for some, may not work for others I guess!

sticker

At the farm I have to plant 3-4 acres for them to last until November, anything less and they get eaten to the ground quickly. At home in the metro area they don’t hardly touch them until October. It’s weird, but they must have a different food source until then. This year at home I had a one acre plot that had lots of bean pods on December 10th. All of a sudden they came in and cleaned them out by Christmas.

haleysgold
    SE MN

Just love seeing this!
    For whatever reason, they really like corn after it’s knocked down.
    I ran over this chunk yesterday and they flock to it!

Attachments:
    1. 20200126_170833.jpg

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

Cool pic! I see atleast one with head gear yet.

Jeff mattingly
    Lonsdale, Mn

you have a deer problem. that’s always a good thing. cool picture

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.