Fly In Guide Tip Guidance

• tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

I’ve seen posts on this before but I like to get some Tip($$) guidance for a guided trip.

Here’s the situation: I’m going on a fly in fishing trip to Canada for 8 days. It will be a group trip that is guided/outfitted by an owner operator. It will be a remote river trip with tent camping and canoe travel. The outfitter provides camping gear/food/logistics which has a trip cost already paid and presumably built in profit margin. I the (client) provide all my fishing gear, personal gear and all travel expenses to include directly paying the 3rd party air service. The fishing will be predominantly DIY w/ expected advice from the guide (i.e. the guide won’t be taking you to fishing spots and running the boat so you can fish). I fully expect camping chores to be shared by the group.

Any advice with respect to tipping in this situation would be appretiated.

joc
    Western and Central, NY

Sounds like a bit of a complex arrangement, maybe it’s just me.
    We tipped the guide $100, 14 years ago on the Albany River. Also to make him feel at home we always invited him to join in on our meals. It payed off, he knew the river. In our case we had 2 boats and he drove one of them and often fished along with us. Important he steered us away from some very dangerous rapids and knew where the big pike and walleyes were, which was often close to those same rapids. We caught a bunch of big fish and had high adventure. Other than preparing the boats he didn’t do camp chores, however we all cleaned fish together as a group.
    I don’t know how to tell you how to insure he’s a good one. This is the only guided trip we ever took and he was good. He was a 1st nations man and really knew the country and was a pleasure to be with.
    BTW what’s this DIY?
    Bring some Deet, Sunblock and depending on how far north your going it may still get down near freezing at night.

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

It’s different than a normal guided fish trip. The guide/outfitter will be joining the trip so you’re really getting a trip leader instead of the individual attention you might otherwise get. He basically guides wilderness fishing trips primarily in the Quetico. He’s been doing a Hawley Lake/Sutton River trip for about 10 yrs. There will be a level of expertise but more on the trip planning side. Where to be and when to be there.

The “do it yourself” pertains more to the fishing aspect. Your gear, your tactics, your work – basically self supported.

joc
    Western and Central, NY

It’s different than a normal guided fish trip. The guide/outfitter will be joining the trip so you’re really getting a trip leader instead of the individual attention you might otherwise get. He basically guides wilderness fishing trips primarily in the Quetico. He’s been doing a Hawley Lake/Sutton River trip for about 10 yrs. There will be a level of expertise but more on the trip planning side. Where to be and when to be there.

The “do it yourself” pertains more to the fishing aspect. Your gear, your tactics, your work – basically self supported.

Is this with Hearst Air, just curious?

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

Yes on Hearst Air

joc
    Western and Central, NY

If it’s the Baxter family they are the best! The dad or grandad was our guide and you read the above.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.