Flow-Rite Remote Drain Plug System

• grampatim
    Spirit Lake, IA

Anybody have any experience as to the durability of this system? With all the AIS laws regarding drain plugs, this might be better than killing my knees and back to get the plug in and out, if it is a durable system.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I “heard” zebra mussels will leave them stuck in the open position.

There was some talk on the forums when they first came out.
    Someone mentioned weeds getting caught in them, but I don’t see that being an issue.

I would be more concerned about them icing up one way or another.

Disclaimer: I haven’t used one and only handled one once.

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

I have installed 1 (one) so far. About all i will say is I personally wont trust my boat to that system.
    Very easy to activate open or closed and would not take much of anything to block it from closing.
    Otherthing i would consider is everytime i would go to close it before launching i would bend down and look and make sure its sealed. If im already doing that it doesnt take much more to put a regular plug in.

Just my .02 on them though

bullcans
    Northfield MN

My buddy had one and tied it up to a dock at a resort for the night.

The next morning he came out and the boat was sunk as it didn’t plug up all the way.

The other time he took the boat out and launched it, within 15 minutes he had to bring it back to the launch as he was taking on water again. Gravel, sand, dirt, debris, etc. were the main causes of failure for him on this venture.

I would highly recommend NOT getting one.

Just my 2 cents

grampatim
    Spirit Lake, IA

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

hl&sinker
    Inactive
    north fowl

With the aspect of visualy seing the drain plug must be removed I can see problems of confusion on the enforcement front. In this state this technology could warrent a pull over or at least additional questions at the launch site.

I question the longevity of a push and pull cable system. I my self have problems with this system in my live wells in my boat.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.