Floating ice suit

• matthewkolden

Im in the market for my first full ice fishing suit. Jacket and bibs. Just looking for some feedback on which ones some of you have, and how warm they are. I want the warmest suit I can get because the older i get the more of a little sally I’m becoming about being cold. Thanks in advance.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I wear a striker climate suit, pretty sure you can’t get any warmer. I also have a predator suit for when its not artic cold.
    The climate suit has removable liners, i dont think ive ever worn the inside jacket and outside jacket together while fishing, only on the wheeler going to the spot

Ice Cap

I have the Striker Predator suit but don’t wear it much since I got the wheel house but always have it with me if it’s needed. These suits only float if all the zippers and vents are closed and draw strings pulled tight.

Rick Janssen

I also have a Striker Predator – I went a bit lighter even though I fish all the time out of my flip over. The Predator is warm enough for what I do. I only bought the bibs as with the jacket I would be TOO warm especially while I am pulling and setting up. Even now, I end up taking off my coat once inside and I only have a little heater. The summer after I bought mine, I took it to the local pool and tried it out. That got some funny looks, but I can tell you, I could float fine with it. With by big boots on I felt like my feet were also going down of course, but I was still floating. I love my bibs.

Austin Britt

Im in the market for my first full ice fishing suit. Jacket and bibs. Just looking for some feedback on which ones some of you have, and how warm they are. I want the warmest suit I can get because the older i get the more of a little sally I’m becoming about being cold. Thanks in advance.

I’m also in the market and have been researching the striker suits, and have tried on the predator suit. I liked it a lot, and like the fact that the inseam (length) is adjustable.

Here is a good comparison chart for the striker brand suits:

Attachments:
    1. pf-adefc55f-61e0-4a66-a0cb-0a0ee4d2a714-SI19BibComparison.jpg

2. pf-674861fe-2fe9-429f-b0ff-c344a3ad87e4-SI19JacketComparison.jpg

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

If you go Striker be sure to try it on, their size chart is crazy. It says a 42 in waist is either 4x or 5x as I remember for bibs. I’m a 42 and 2x is fine.

EW6

Just to add an opinion that I rarely ever hear about these suits. I have the striker climate suit. I love it. It’s a tad bulky. I’m no cold weather wimp, but you still do get cold in this thing if you’re sitting long enough. All I ever hear is it’s so warm I have to take it off etc. In reality expect to get a little chilled if sitting for awhile even with the climate is all I’ll say. It’s still just clothes and not magic.

I think I saw an add somewhere for a new Norfin float suit with heating elements? Might be worth investigating.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Just to add an opinion that I rarely ever hear about these suits. I have the striker climate suit. I love it. It’s a tad bulky. I’m no cold weather wimp, but you still do get cold in this thing if you’re sitting long enough. All I ever hear is it’s so warm I have to take it off etc. In reality expect to get a little chilled if sitting for awhile even with the climate is all I’ll say. It’s still just clothes and not magic.

I think I saw an add somewhere for a new Norfin float suit with heating elements? Might be worth investigating.

I find ice fishing to be high activity, pulling sled, drilling holes, etc.

I definitely wear a heated vest on the boat under my climate on thecoldest days. No amount of layers keeps you warm if your not moving and generating heat. Also a fan of disposable heat packs.
    Now that said, I am looking forward to hunting in my iwom this late fall- but that’s not really ice or boat fishing friendly and is 100% built to retain all your body heat. It’s built nothing like a coat. I move a fair amount fishing but not at all hunting so I can’t wait for 0 temps!!!

I always vote for striker climate for the versatility due to layers of coat and bibs as well as the venting options.

Parker Edgington

This will be my 5th season with my Striker Predator suit, I have never been cold in it. I have fished when its been as cold as -22 and never had issues. Like others have said try it on or get the next size bigger. I have a XXL Tall jacket and it is not all that long. I know everyone has an float suit now but i will be staying with striker for quite awhile.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

I purchased the Climate in a tan/camo design color many moons ago now. I sent money just after it came out and after I saw a full user review on the first blue one. I’m very pleased! A pro staffer for one of the distributing company’s offered his discount, that was very nice thing to do.

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

I have the Predator suit and love it.I fish mostly outside.
    If it means anything i’m 6’2″ and 190-195 and a 36″ waist.I have both the jacket and the bibs in XL and they fit me perfect.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I purchased the Climate in a tan/camo design color many moons ago now. I sent money just after it came out and after I saw a full user review on the first blue one. I’m very pleased! A pro staffer for one of the distributing company’s offered his discount, that was very nice thing to do.

Im still wearing the original climate suit worn by Brad Hawthorne who did the first promotional videos on Mille lacs. Scored it used from him after a season of use for $250 probably 10 years ago. (Hotspot outdoors days)

Two or three years ago I bought another suit just in case they ever quit making them. After sitting in the bag a year I wore it maybe 12x and several MAJOR seams gave out. (Quality may not be what it once was!) Since it was over a year striker wouldn’t fix it. Another year later…Two weeks ago I finally brought it to a seamstress to repair the basically brand new coat. Hoping it is as good as the 10yr old original.

Brad never did supply the bibs liner or the hood as he lost them and never used them. I was a little butthurt at the time but as time passed I realized I still got a great deal. Not having those components also influenced buying a new set.

Not a bad stitch yet today in the old coat and bibs! Still haven’t tried the flotation ) the only washing it has seen is rain!!

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

250 with no bibs and liner is a terrible deal. I bought the bibs and got the coat free from a local bait shop end of season, now that was a deal. But the liners are a 100 bucks each so buying for 250 and then buying the liners is basically full price

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

@bearcat89

250 with no bibs and liner is a terrible deal. I bought the bibs and got the coat free from a local bait shop end of season, now that was a deal. But the liners are a 100 bucks each so buying for 250 and then buying the liners is basically full price

Great deal you got. No way you could’ve gotten that deal three I same year it was introduced. ;)
    I got a pair of AA bibs for $80 once. Crotch ripped out first time wearing them. They’re fixed, only bought them for the people I take fishing who don’t have the right gear to enjoy a cold day.

Let me clarify…
    No liner FOR the bibs.
    No hood FOR the coat.

The two things least used anyway.

I wrote it correctly above, you misinterpreted. That’s ok.

never did supply the bibs liner or the hood

Striker still won’t sell either of those items separately.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Striker still won’t sell either of those items separately.
    [/quote]
    The jacket liner is sold as a separate jacket and is the replacement liner. I had to buy one because of my kid loosing it.
    And I was lucky enough to get them to send me the pant liners because of a broken zipper.

And yes sorry I did miss read your other text that is my bad

I bought the Strikemaster float suit at the start of last season and absolutely love it!! Wasn’t cold in it once last year and I found it to be much less bulky and comforable than the Striker suits (I’m a walker 2-5km each trip, full zip bibs to breathe, 2 way jacket zipper makes it a breeze). I’m not saying they’re better than Striker’s (there’s a reason they’re so popular) personally I just prefer the Strikemaster suits and remember seeing them on sale for dirt cheap last winter! Even reg price, they can’t be beat IMO, zero complaints.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.