Flatheads North of Marine on St Croix

• uninc4709

Wondering if anyone has any insight on the population up north in the deeper stretches. I am headed out camping in 2 weeks and am wondering if its worth while to deal with trying keeping suckers alive, or just stick to crawlers for whatever rough fish is hungry/walleye. I am sure there are fish around, but I am wondering if its worth attempting north of Stillwater? Feel free to PM. Thanks in advance

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

I believe the state record flathead was from that area for many years.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

I believe you can bring crawlers and catch your bait if you are going to use it on that stretch.

dbright
    Cambridge

They are up there but not the populations they have on the Mississippi and Minnesota. I would bring bullheads instead of suckers if you are camping.

uninc4709

Perfect, you guys are much appreciated!

craig s

Bullheads.
    I fish marine to Taylor’s falls 90% of the time. There’s good fish(I’ve got a 60″×30″). If your camping I sure as !%$# would have a line out at night while sitting by the fire. Cast out a bullhead on one rig and cut bait on another, not a lot of flatties on that stretch but oodles of channels!
    Have fun, good luck!

Eric duffy

There are PLENTY around. I’ve found from Taylor’s falls to marine I do significantly better if I avoid deep water completely. Give me some nasty wood and rock cover in 4feet of water and I’ll consistently put quality 30pound and up fih in the boat from water temps at 59, all the way up to 72. Roughly two weeks after 4th of July. I’m out there nearly every evening 7days a week and have figured out a lot in that stretch in 10years time. If you’ve any questions feel free to mash me. They aren’t my fish so I’m more than willing to point you in the right direction provided you’ll be releasing them.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Thanks for your post Eric! applause

They aren’t my fish so I’m more than willing to point you in the right direction provided you’ll be releasing them.

Eric duffy

There’s a few in these waters… They aren’t as easy to get as say the Minnesota river but for those know know and dedicate time to them they definitely are there in good fishable numbers. In my experience anytime during the day is mostly wasted time fishing them. Sure it can happen but don’t dedicate your days to fishing them much with any real expectation. It’s typically an 11-130 bite then again at 530 to 7am. At other times the river has piles of walleyes or sturgeon to chase.

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20191212-170329.png

2. Screenshot_20190213-161050_Photos.jpg

3. 20170617_003339.jpg

4. 20160619_013327-1.jpg

5. 20160619_013327.jpg

ganderpike
    Alexandria

Having only ever fished channel cats in the Red during my NDSU days, I am somewhat a Croix virgin. Ill be launching tomorrow afternoon/evening with the intent of getting the old man on some rough fish.

Planning on going north out of the Boom Site landing and fishing upstream of snags with whatever I can catch/cut with worms.

I believe using bluegill is only legal on Wisconsin side correct? No idea what wake rules are out there but hoping bouys and my Garmins tell me what’s what.

I have no confidence Ill be able to catch what I am intending to but hockey on the radio and cigars will keep me happy.

Fishing shallow upstream of snags the right idea?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I fish Franconia up to tf Mainly and we pull out lots of big fish in that area. I wouldn’t bother with suckers. Go bull heads. We go catch a bucket full of them and then go set up near some nasty log jams off the banks. Lots of flatheads to be caught in the area, and lots of channel cats as well. We camp from on the river quite often as well.

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20210220-165042_Gallery.jpg

2. Screenshot_20210220-165025_Gallery.jpg

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Gills or any other game fish is only allowed on the WI side. I have a friend that catches gills around his dock on the MN side, then makes sure his gps show he’s in WI.

I’ve only used gills once in 15 years and found it’s much easier to use bullheads (or suckers) then to remember what side of the river I’m on.

Good Luck!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.