Flathead newbie MN

• Daniel Cannon

Hey guys, I’m in the Minneapolis area of MN looking for some pointers on flathead spots to try out. I’ve got a few spots for channels, but I know nothing about how to locate flatheads. I have the proper gear, (Okuma battlecat rod and the Okuma avenger baitfeeder) plenty of weights, hooks, and leaders. I just need to find some spots to try out once this whole quarantine thing is over. I also fish mainly from shore, so preferably dams, or areas that are accessible from shore would be great. I know live bait is preferable but deadbait also works as well. Any tips would be extremely helpful and greatly appreciated!!!

Matt Coffey

Before I had a boat I would park at the Lyndale boat ramp and walk up river till I found a log jam or a small in flow. There are places all over and miles of trails for shore access to the Minnesota River. Just make sure that if you park somewhere that the area doesn’t close at a certain time to avoid a ticket. I use live bullheads, creek chubs or large pieces of cut sucker. I have heard that using cut sheepshead, especially the head, is a good option. Hope this helps.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Yes don’t rule out fresh cut bait.
    Here’s a video i put together

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

There’s lots of info on flatheads on IDO. One of the reason i joined years ago.
    Hit the search feature in the top right. Type in flathead…Read on!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.