Flasher tune up Question/suggestion

• Corey Rhymer
    Roberts, WI

I have a Humminbird Ice-55. Over the last year’s ice season wear, the battery clips and wiring has became worn and frail and have detached. I obviously need to install new alligator clips. What do you suggest? I have been looking at fully insulated alligator clips. Is there any other type you like, brand/model, length, etc…? Thanks in advance!

Fred Scott

If the battery will still hold a good charge, as a new battery for $50 will come with new connector tabs, you may consider buying some heat shrink tube and small connectors male and female for the wiring. Then try soldiering the new wiring connector one side to the battery, male or female, then just reconnect the matching connector that is crimped on the wiring. I hope this helps, I have done this successfully to the mini 12 volt kiddy truck battery. I have never had to do this to a flasher battery. But should be virtually the same.

tucrs
    NW Metro

Radio Shack sells most of the stuff. They sell all the alligator clips.

Brad Anderson
    Minnesota

Go to a hardware store and get red spade connectors, and a stake on pliers. Just strip a quarter inch of the wire jacket, slip the spade over the exposed wire and crimp it. Take a black marker or some electrical tape and wrap it over or color the spade that you crimp on the negative wire (aka the black alligator clip) to keep an easy id of your positive and negative connectors.

Spade connector
    Spade connector

Stake on pliers
    Stake on pliers

P.s. They also make spade connectors that can be crimped or flattened with regular pliers but they are junk IMO.

Brad Anderson
    Minnesota

P.s.s. The also make spade connectors that are “fully insulated” if your looking to go that route.

Lawrence Luoma

I agree with Brad. The cheap spade connectors work just fine. Just keep a couple extra on you while on the ice and Leatherman style tool with you.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.