Fixing a Broken Transducer

• trekr200
    Red Wing, MN

I have a Marcum Dual-Beam Showdown that has a broken transducer. Can the ducer be fixed?

Mike

munchy
    NULL

Broken Wires – yes(sometimes)

Transducer – probably not. They are fully epoxied in place.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I had a vexilar transducer that cracked. I put multiple thin coats of epoxy over at it worked for years

Crappy Fisherman

Best way to fix a Marcum transducer is to buy a Vexilar,
    Sorry couldn’t resist ????

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Best way to fix a Marcum transducer is to buy a Vexilar,
    Sorry couldn’t resist ????

He needs a fix for a transducer, not more useless weight to carry around

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

It can be fixed with epoxy but you will pick up more interference. Well at least I did until I broke down and bought a new transducer. Now I can see everything so much better and clearer. Wish I would have replaced it years ago.

jake47
    WI

While we are talking about this, the sheathing on my LX-5 transducer cable is pulling away exposing the wires inside. Anyone have any good ideas to repair this? I don’t want it to get any dust in there while it sits on my shelf doah …I’m pretty sure it happened from pulling the frozen transducer out of the base multiple times.

kabefisherman11

While we are talking about this, the sheathing on my LX-5 transducer cable is pulling away exposing the wires inside. Anyone have any good ideas to repair this? I don’t want it to get any dust in there while it sits on my shelf doah …I’m pretty sure it happened from pulling the frozen transducer out of the base multiple times.

Wouldn’t some of that self fusing electrical tape work? I used it in my boat when I rewired power for my electronics. Stuff is awesome

munchy
    NULL

I guess there should be clarification. Is the transducer cracked or is it not working?

If cracked yes you could spread some epoxy on it. I’d place it on a light heat source like a furnace vent for a day or so before epoxying just to make sure you get the moisture out.

trekr200
    Red Wing, MN

The transducer isn’t cracked. I think the sonar part is damaged. Can that be fixed?

Mike

Ron
    Victoria, mn

Well, the “sonar part” consists of electronics in your head unit which send an energy pulse via the transducer cable to the crystals in the transducer, which vibrate at a specific frequency, sending a sound pulse into the water, which then reflects back to the transducer crystals, and is then converted back to a return energy pulse that is sent to the head unit via the transducer cable and converted to a visible display.

So the failure of the “sonar part” is either in electronics in the head unit, the cable, or the transducer.

Check your cable connection at the head unit, check for a break in the cable, then swap out the transducer with a known good one.

That should tell you where the failure is. Being encapsulated in plastic, the transducer is not repairable. The head unit likely is, but compare repair cost to replacement.

Good luck. toast

djshannon
    Crosslake

For $80, you can send your showdown to Marcum for out of warranty repair (flat rate, including transducer). If you are close enough I would drop it off They are in New Hope, Mn. They took two business days to fix/check out my entire unit, I could’t tell but the transducer looked like brand new. and they shipped it back to me. It cam back looking like brand new. Shipping was extra

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.