Fixed Blade Broadheads

• Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

I bought a pack of the Viper Tricks (Slick Trick Broadhead) hoping they would shoot like my field points. Long story short I wasn’t so lucky. They seem to shoot consistent (I just shoot one arrow at a time) but the group is high and right about 4″ at 35 yards. I shoot a Mathews No Cam HTR 29.5″ draw at 70#. I shoot the RIP TKO 300 arrows. Bow shoots perfectly through paper.

Anyone have a favorite small cutting diameter fixed blade broadhead? As of right now I’m going to be sticking with the rage hypodermics.

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

What are you hunting, Pat? For deer/bear those hypodermics are going to be tough to beat. Your bow/arrow setup seems pretty kosher. Sometimes if you’re toeing the line with being under-spined you can see the results that you are, but that doesn’t seem to be the case here.

I have had great luck with both the Wac’em 3 and 4 blade fixed heads out to 60 yards.

Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

I hunt mule and whitetail deer. I used to shoot the slick tricks without problems and I really liked them especially if hitting bone. I did shoot a lesser poundage back then and a slower overall bow. The only time I don’t care for the rage hypodermic is when bone is in play.

Musky Ed

As long as they are shooting consistant, you may want to consider a slight change to the tunning of your bow. 4″ at 35 yards would need a very minor change. If you are a right handed shooter, your rest needs to come out apx 1/64″, and down about the same amount. When the tune is right, a fixed blade should fly reasonably close to your field points, if your spine is correct. Shooting fixed blade broadheads against field points, will instantly show minor tuning issues. If you don’t want to correct the tune, and the broadheads are flying good, you could just reset your sight for hunting at the start of season also.

Hoyt4
    NULL

Pat
    Rocket makes the Ultimate steel I have used for Elk, bear and deer. No issues.

Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

As long as they are shooting consistant, you may want to consider a slight change to the tunning of your bow. 4″ at 35 yards would need a very minor change. If you are a right handed shooter, your rest needs to come out apx 1/64″, and down about the same amount. When the tune is right, a fixed blade should fly reasonably close to your field points, if your spine is correct. Shooting fixed blade broadheads against field points, will instantly show minor tuning issues. If you don’t want to correct the tune, and the broadheads are flying good, you could just reset your sight for hunting at the start of season also.

Yeah i’m sure I could get it dialed in with some time and effort. The problem is that I am leaving for ND mule deer on Wednesday and I don’t want to mess with anything. I was planning on probably shooting the rage broadheads (I already have a bunch) but wanted to shoot the slick tricks too.

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

I’ve been shooting 125 gr. montecs since I got my DXT in 08, they flew perfectly to my field points with CX 350 Maxima’s. Just made the switch to pile driver DS arrows this year that are 15% heavier, haven’t shot with a broadhead on yet but so far at 20 yards I didn’t even have to move my sight pin so hopefully they will be the same also when I get the broadhead target out (just replaced the string/cable too so I have two variables going on).

Musky Ed

Best of luck on your hunt. I am envious.

Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

Best of luck on your hunt. I am en

Thanks Man! I’m pretty excited to head out in the field instead of water for a week!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.