Need a good horse raddish recipe

• zachary fries
    Central Nebraska

I could really use a little help with how to put up horse raddish. Step-by-step please I am a newbee

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Peel the root and cut it into 1″ cubes. Using a hand grinder, grind the cubes into a bowl. Do yourself a favor and put a window fan on the countertop where you’re doing this stuff. Now take the ground root 1 cup at a time and add it along with 1/4 cup of white vinegar and 1/2 teaspoon of un-iodized [canning] salt to a food blender or processor and process it until its as fine as you want it. Then just pack it in clean jars and store in the fridge.

When you are done with the grinding and processing, be darned sure to wash everything with very hot, very soapy water and whatever you do, DO NOT SMELL the raw ground root!!! There is no surer way to wish you were dead than to small this stuff when the intial grinding is done. Or right out of the processor for that matter.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

do all the above steps outside, some add mustard seed, I had a batch with brown mustard seed, was a nice touch.

nick
    Lakeville, MN

The only thing I need to mention is that vinegar stops the level of heat and keeps it where it’s at, you’d have to do a web search on how the heat level changes over time.

In know in the case of hot yellow mustard it gets hotter for about 15 minutes after that the heat level comes down, unless you stop it with vinegar, horseradish is much the same, and I want mine hurtful hot.

Got a piece waiting for me to mess with it, haven’t had the time yet, very soon.

zachary fries
    Central Nebraska

Have you guys heard the old wise tale that you should only put it up in months that contain an “R”?

jd318
    NE Nebraska

I thought that was for rhubarb.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

I add in a little real mayo and cream cheese. Goes great with beef and brats.

-J.

Geerdes
    Brandon, SD 57005

That is correct. Only months ending in R.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.