1-1/2 C. sugar

1 tsp. mustard seed

1 tsp. whole cloves

Dash of chipped red pepper

3 to 4 medium white onions

1 Northern pike

1 C. Pickling salt

1 C. Sweet white wine

Thaw frozen Northern and cut into bite size pieces.

BRINE:

Combine 5 cups of water and 1 cup pickling salt (enough to float an egg). Add fish and refrigerate for 48 hours. Rinse thoroughly.

Clean glass container – put rinsed fish in and cover with white vinegar, refrigerate for 48 hours. Discard vinegar.

Combine the first 8 ingredients to make a solution that you boil for 5 minutes. Let cool. Add the white wine. Layer fish and white onion slices in glass container. Pour in solution enough to cover. They will be ready to eat in 48 hours.

The BEFORE and AFTER pictured below.

-Boogs

swimingjig
    Waumandee, WI

I have not had that since I was a kid. Thanks

saugeyeshaw
    Winona, Minnesota

That’s the stuff! We made that about six weeks ago. With heering at $6+ per pound might as well make your own pike. I traded a jar of it for raccoon haunches and am making coon jerky with my 13 year old for a science class contest. Thanks for the recipe, the one we used had white wine. I will try this one if I can get some early ice pike like I usually do.

johnsy
    Mantorville, Mn

How would Sunnies work?

jerrj01
    Hudson, WI

Although it may draw some shots…crappies are undbelieveable when used for pickling.

Jeff Bennett
    Lake Puckaway Wi.

You are making me drew , sounds like a great recipe. We always pickle some fish every winter . Great job ..

From JEFF

Boogerbreath
    Bemidji, MN

I bet sunnies and crappies would be awesome!

As far as how long they would keep… from what I have read of other recipes. 2 weeks to a month. I personally have gone 5 months with this recipe with no ill affects. I should also mention that I like to add the boiled solution to the jars while it is still slightly warm. As it cools within the canning jars the lids will pop (indent) for an air tight seal. FYI – The jars and lid rings were boiled before hand.

-Boogs

mec
    West Salem,WI

Good recipe,all fish make good picklin!!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.