River Redhorse

• pdl
    Bayport/St. Croix/Otsego/Grand Rapids

Need suggestions for table prep of a 27.5 St.Croix lunker that died in the livewell while we were trying to figure out if we had a state record…missed length by three-quarters of an inch last week. This spawned out female gave a strong fight after inhaling a piece of worm on a panfish jig with lite line and tackle. She was almost five lbs. off the record taken in pre-spawn May of 1985 in Kettle River.
    The species book noted her pugnatory and feeding reputation but also listed this redhorse variation as of limited recreational value due to bones. Hate to waste her on the rhubarb roots. Suggestions for smoking, grinding etc.????

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I’ve heard they make some pretty good fish patties, but I have yet to try this. Can we see a picture of this big momma? Sounds like a great fish!

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Here’s a recipe for redhorse patties. Haven’t tried it myself, but it’s gotten good reviews.

Ingredients

2 c. raw ground fish (sucker, pike, redhorse)
    1/2 c. cracker crumbs
    1 T. chopped parsley
    1 T. mayonnaise
    1/2 tsp. Old Bay Seasoning (essential)
    1-2 eggs, slightly beaten

Instructions

Mix all ingedients together. Shape into patties. Heat 1/4″ oil in frying pan. Cook patties over high heat 2-3 minutes on each side, or until medium brown. Drain on paper towels. Serves warm – makes six patties.

Serving Suggestions

You can serve them as-is, with tartar sauce, lemon, or relish. An excellent sandwich can be made by putting a pattie on a sesame seed bun with a dollop of tartar sauce, a leaf of lettuce, a slice of tomato, and a pickle on the side. You can also form them into small 1-inch balls instead of patties; in this case they can be served as hors d’ouvres with a toothpick spiked into each one. For added flair, top each ball with a slice of pickle and spear it onto the fish ball with toothpick.

dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

Yuck!

But as they say: “One man’s trash, is another man’s treasure”.

Good eating

a1a

They make great catfish bait!

The muskies on the upper Croix love em too, but they gotta be alive!

outdoors4life
    Stillwater, MN

Smoked redhorse rivals anything!!!!

I had a 10 pound 1 OZ mounted that a good friend of mine caught.

Recipe for smoked
    1 quart of water
    1/2 cup salt
    1/2 cup sugar
    Brine for 8 hours

Smoke with applewood!

They are very sweet and tasty ths way and I had a few dozen people eating them and finished up every bit I have made.

On a side note
    There are sucker species that are threatened that in WI they are protected and should be in MN also
    -Greater Redhorse
    -River Redhorse
    -Blue Sucker
    There are more but not coming to mind right now.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Quote:

Smoked redhorse rivals anything!!!!

wade
    Cottage Grove, MN

pickled sucker is good too!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.