Rib Rub

• koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

Does anyone have a recipe for a good dry rub for baby backs?

Thanks

rkd-jim
    Fountain City, WI.

This is my favorite…………will make enough to do about 4 racks. Store remainder in cool dry place.

1/2 cup sugar
    1/4 cup paprika
    3 Tbsp seasoned salt (Lawry’s)
    2 Tbsp chili powder
    2 Tbsp black pepper
    1 Tbsp celery salt
    1 Tbsp onion powder
    1 Tbsp garlic powder
    2 tsp ground sage
    1 tsp dry mustard

chomps
    Sioux City IA

I usually make up one batch for the entire summer, well, half of it at least. If you read the ingredients of your favorite steak/chicken seasoning you will find they will contain what you are looking for. This is basic and simple, and I store in mason jars. I will punch holes all over the lid (cap) and use a second cap over the top to seal her up when not in use. Take the top cap off and re-tighten and use as a shaker, when done, put the lid back on and tighten.

one large jar Montreal steak
    one med jar Weber Kick’n Chicken
    one palm full peppercorns
    pulse in blender till good and ground up
    one can Old Bay
    one small jar onion powder
    one small jar garlic powder
    one small jar sweet paprika
    one small jar chili powder
    one cup packed brown sugar

mix everything together and store, I stay away from adding salt, theres plenty in the rest of the ingredients. I slather mustard over the rack first, then season with the rub, for a spicy change, use the Asain chili sauce (the one with the rooster on the front, green cap)instead of the mustard. Smoke away!

tennispro
    Sterling, IL

This is a rub that I have used in many different Rib Contest. I have won 5 times and have two 2nd places with it.

1 cup Sugar

1 cup Table Salt

1/2 cup Brown Sugar (dried out lightly)

5 Tbsp + 1 tsp Chili Powder

2 Tbsp + 2 tsp Ground Cumin

4 tsp cayenne Pepper

4 tsp Black Pepper

4 tsp Garlic powder

4 tsp Onion Powder

You might want to cut the salt down to 1/2 cup because it does get salty tasting.

PS now I want ribs, thanks alot

stuart
    Mn.

Remember to remove the membrain from the backside of ribs….very important when doing babybacks.
    I also like to apply the rub,wrap in stretch wrap and let set in fridge over night.

whittsend

Good point on the membrane and overnight marinating!

Here is Alton’s recipe so you don’t have to use the link.

Ingredients
    2 whole slabs pork baby back ribs
    Dry Rub:
    8 tablespoons light brown sugar, tightly packed
    3 tablespoons kosher salt
    1 tablespoon chili powder
    1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1/2 teaspoon jalapeno seasoning
    1/2 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
    1/2 teaspoon rubbed thyme
    1/2 teaspoon onion powder
    Braising Liquid:
    1 cup white wine
    2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
    2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
    1 tablespoon honey
    2 cloves garlic, chopped
    Directions
    Preheat oven to 250 degrees.

In a bowl, combine all dry ingredients and mix well. Place each slab of baby back ribs on a piece of heavy-duty aluminum foil, shiny side down. Sprinkle each side generously with the dry rub. Pat the dry rub into the meat. Refrigerate the ribs for a minimum of 1 hour. In a microwavable container, combine all ingredients for the braising liquid. Microwave on high for 1 minute.

Place the ribs on a baking sheet. Open one end of the foil on each slab and pour half of the braising liquid into each foil packet. Tilt the baking sheet in order to equally distribute the braising liquid. Braise the ribs in the oven for 2 1/2 hours.

Transfer the braising liquid into a medium saucepot. Bring the liquid to a simmer and reduce by half or until of a thick syrup consistency. Brush the glaze onto the ribs. Place under the broiler just until the glaze caramelizes lightly. Slice each slab into 2 rib bone portions. Place the remaining hot glaze into a bowl and toss the rib portions in the glaze.

*This recipe makes several batches of dry rub. If more rub is needed, it can be extended by any amount, as long as the ratio of 8:3:1:1 remains the same.

tennispro
    Sterling, IL

Well You did it, I just got home with three slabs for tomorrow night. I have a beer can chicken for tonight. Just to make everyone want ribs I will post some pictures tomorrow when done

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.