Sauger/walleye

• markmoran
    Rochester MN

I fried up some Sauger tonight and it was a little mushy, any way to fix this? I get the pun, sauger is soggy, but what fixes it? Dying to know so I can go catch some more, they were delicious!!

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Did you fry them in oil?

If so, you must make sure the oil is hot enough before you put the fish in the oil.

To check if the oil is hot enough, put a “small” drop of water in the oil. (special emphasis on “small”)

If the oil immediately starts to splatter & spit, its hot enough. If it doesn’t cause much of a reaction, you need to heat the oil up some more before frying the fish.

Fish fried in oil thats not hot enough makes for soggy fish!

lure_rat
    Minneapolis, MN

Start with the fillets ICE COLD. If your pan frying bread them and then put them in the freezer for 30 to 45 minutes before cooking. If your deep frying soak them in ice water before dusting with your favorite mix.

Good Luck

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Quote:

Did you fry them in oil?

If so, you must make sure the oil is hot enough before you put the fish in the oil.

To check if the oil is hot enough, put a “small” drop of water in the oil. (special emphasis on “small”)

If the oil immediately starts to splatter & spit, its hot enough. If it doesn’t cause much of a reaction, you need to heat the oil up some more before frying the fish.

Fish fried in oil thats not hot enough makes for soggy fish!

Joe is absolutely correct! I have cooked 100s of shore lunches and dinners with Sauger/Walleye. To be sure get a high temp thermometer. The oil should be at 375. Peanut Oil has the highest kindling point and is excellent for deep frying.
    I have never heard of the ice cold(freezer) thing…mine come out crispy and firm right off the fillet board… These were eaten less than an hour after being cleaned…

Prestige
    Elgin, MN

Make sure you don’t overfill the pan when frying them. I have done this once or twice in the past and it causes mushy fish. Also the oil should he very hot.

huntfishhastings
    Hastings, MN

has anyone else thought that the walleye/saugers out of pool 4 seem soft too? I rarely eat fish but it seems like the last couple that I cut up seemed really soft.

markmoran
    Rochester MN

I pan fried them with some oil in the bottom of the pan, enough to come up to the edge on the fish. I know the oil started high enough, but it probably cooled down to where that was the trick. Is there any reason to cover them, I didn’t but just wondering, if I am going to burn them before it gets cooked through

jerrj01
    Hudson, WI

As everyone is saying the oil has to be hot, but also has to stay hot otherwise the fish becomes oil soaked and mushy. The freezer thing sound interesting.

mrwalleye
    MN

DO NOT cover the pan
    the steam will run down the lid into the oil,

jerrj01
    Hudson, WI

That picture makes me hungry.

wkw

I have the best luck when I lay the filets on folded paper towels to dry the water off them. Seems to help.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Quote:

I pan fried them with some oil in the bottom of the pan, enough to come up to the edge on the fish. I know the oil started high enough, but it probably cooled down to where that was the trick. Is there any reason to cover them, I didn’t but just wondering, if I am going to burn them before it gets cooked through

In my experience and with advice from the cooking pros…you need to have enough very hot oil in the pan to cover the fish fillets completely. There is no worry of “turning them”. When they are golden brown, take them out with tongs and reload the pan. If the oil is too hot the outside browns too quickly and the inside is not thoroughly cooked…smoking oil is too hot! Use the thermometer if you enoy cooking fish regularly.
    The very best pan for me is a 3.5″ deep, 14″ dia cast iron “chicken cooker”. I pour 1 quart of oil in it and it works perfectly. Mine is over 50 years old.
    If you can’t find one locally we carry them in our store…really good quality and pre seasoned.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

Make sure you soak up as much water/moisture from the fillets before egg-wash/breading. The extra moisture in the fillets will steam the coating, making them soggy. Having the correct oil temp is the most key, and drop the fillets in on at a time to give the oil a chance to get back to full cooking speed.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.