Ground Venison Recipes?

• matt pistorio
    Chicago, IL

Anyone have a great recipe that utilizes ground Venison?

Thanks for your help.

the better half
    Champlin, MN

Here is one for meatloaf.

You could also use it in the Calico Bean recipe someone posted this morning. When I make Calico Beans, I use white navy beans because I don’t like butter beans. Also, we just throw ours in the oven for about 45 minutes instead of using the crock pot.

Hunting4Walleyes
    MN

Not sure if you have a dehydrator or not, but a dehydrator and a jerky gun can make some fine jerky. I just mix the ground venison with cure and seasonings and shoot into sticks. It only takes about 5-6 hours in the dehydrator. Your typical 4 shelf unit will do about 3 pounds at a time. Make sure you get some right away as it does not last long.

cshunt1
    Eagan, MN

my uncle had this venison beer stick recipe he made with pepper jack cheese, habeneros and some secret ingredient (prolly some special hot sauce or something). they were amazing but you couldnt eat those things without an ice cold beer or other beverage to wash it down.

i wish i had a recipe for you. heck i wish i had the recipe for me!

beer sticks would be my #1 pick cuz im not a fan of ground jerky. or perhaps a nice pot of 5 alarm chili?

Whiskerkev
    Madison

Ground venison can be subtituted for any recipe that asks for ground anything. Just keep in mind low fat content may need to be addressed. We like to mix 80/20 hambuger, and egg, ground vension, and some bread crumbs. patty up and grill like a burger.

jerrj01
    Hudson, WI

Have you thought about making brautwurst, italian sausage, breakfast sausage, summer sausage, etc… You only need a grinder, some spices, and some elbow grease. To save some $$$$ make patties instead of stuffing casings. They are great on hamburger buns and if you have a Geroge Foreman grill or similar grill they are simple and quick to cook. And they are great off the grill. If you have a smoker even better. I buy pork butts by the case at Sam’s Club (again to save money) to grind and mix with the venision at 50/50, but you can mix however you wish.

illiniwalli
    WC Illinois

i make jerky sticks out of ground venison using the american harvest pepperoni flavor, and they disappear pretty quickly.

we get pork trim from butcher shops for $1 to $2 a pound, grind it myself and mix it with ground deer. we do the ratio anywhere from 3-1 to 1-1 deer to pork. tasty in any recipe calling for burger.

we also make bulk breakfast and brat sausage from it.

when making veni/pork burgers on the grill, i usually add some combination of lee and perrins, montreal steak spice, teryaki, dehydrated onions and/or some herbs and, of course, sea salt and cracked pepper.

matt pistorio
    Chicago, IL

Thanks to everyone for the plethora of responses. I am new to the Hunting scene and now to the culinary aspect of it.

Should be a good memorial day weekend. Tight lines to all of you fellas over the weekend hopefully each of our respective local lakes wont be too pressured.

Best regards,

whittsend

Always good in tacos, enchiladas, etc…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.