? on Wild Rice

• wade
    Cottage Grove, MN

What is the best way to cook wild rice, I have been making it off and on and still haven’t found the perfect mix or ratio or raw rice to liquid. Also, has anyone ever tried red wine as liquid?

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Volume of liguid has never mattered as far as I know. You need enough water to cook the rice till it’s pooped. Then drain the water. Fill a pot and go for it. That’s how I’ve always done it.

dtsunde
    St. Cloud, MN

My grandmother’s secret recipe calls for a 3-to-1 ratio. I use 3 cups of water to 1 cup of wild rice. Here’s a condensed recipe…

Soak wild rice in cool water for 10-15 minutes and clean by removing floating elements.
    Add 1 beef bouillian cube and 1/4 teaspoon salt
    Bring the rice to a good boil, remove from heat, cover the pot and let cool. Once cool, place on heat and bring back to a boil. Once boiling, remove from heat, cover the pot and let cool. Repeat this process until the water in the pot is completely absorbed into the rice. The rice is now cooked and ready for final preparations.

This is the long way of preparing the rice, but if you try it this way, you’ll never prepare it differently. Feel free to send me a PM if you’d like more info.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.