Walleye Cheeks???

• Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

I heard that walleye cheeks are really good? Does anyone have any insight on this and how do you fillet them out? Any good recipes?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

They are GREAT! It’s all I ever save.

ps the bigger the eye the better!!

trump_4
    Cedar Point, IL

Nothing beats them. My daughter waits by the fryer for them, unfortunately there are never enough.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Back in the day when it was kill em all, let god sort em out. We ate a lot of walleye cheeks. It takes about a 22-23″ fish to have a decent sized piece of meat in my opinion. I don’t bother on the 16-18″ fish I keep now.

However, out on Erie when we kill everything, you can get some pretty nice sacks of cheeks. By far the best part of a walleye. Toss the in batter, deep fry for 1-2 mins, let oil drain off. One good thing about being the cook, you can sort off the good stuff before it goes to the masses.

walleyehunter2
    Hudson, WI

Best part of the fish in my opinion. Taste like crab, very delicate. I saute them with fresh garlic and butter. Becareful not to over cook them or it will turn chewy.

I usually take a knife and cut around the cheek.

JJ, I’ll show you next week.

g38
    South metro

JJ, between the eye and gill plate, feel for a “softer” spot. Like BK said the bigger the fish, the bigger the cheek. put the tip of your filet knife into the top of the soft spot, and you can follow the shape of the cheek with the knife tip. Go around to the bottom of the cheek, and tehn just turn teh blade and gently lift the cheek off, leaving the skin on the fish.
    Very good eating,just saute for a minute- they cook fast.
    good luck, Gregg

p4walleye
    Rochester, MN

I was cleaning fish in at Rausch a couple years and a couple old timers from Iowa, asked if they could have the cheeks from my fish. I had no idea what they were talking about but said absolutely. These boys had surgical precision and I couldn’t believe they were getting meat out of there. None of my fish were over 20 inches. I paid attention, but have never tried it myself. I would be interested to see how people use them/cook them also.

trump_4
    Cedar Point, IL

start under the eye, towards the top of the gill, then just peel of the cheek. We use Andy’s breading for all our fish. Cajun & red. Of course, don’t forget the beer

arklite881south

Very Yummy!! If planning a meal for a group might want to throw in some crayfish tails to make sure everyone is full!! Dip in drawn butter or cheese sauce!! Ridiculously good!!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

BTW- when I told the FW the little nuggets mixed in with the cooked fillets were cheeks, she turned red and choked.

I told her I stopped cooking cheeks when making fish for her.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

The cheeks only take a couple seconds to remove so anything over 15″ is well worth the time in my opinion. I don’t keep anything over 19″ but I always joke when I let go a sumo eye, “man those would be some nice cheeks”

hoistafish1
    Long Prairie,MN

I always clean the fish, so the cheeks go to the captain! YUM! Ask any other member of my family what they taste like they have NO clue, I never seem to have enough to share.

Doug Bonwell
    Cedar Falls IA

Gotta love a good set of cheeks!

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

Pure white meat that tastes like lobster or flathead.

It’s worth having someone show you how to cut them out.

big_head_basher

They suck you won’t like them…but will you save them for me????

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

While up at Winnie a few years back there was a freshly cleaned 26.5 inch eye on the top of the “gut pile”.

Steaks!

Mr. Garver…here’s your cheeks. …and they don’t taste like flathead.

jd318
    NE Nebraska

Cheeks are good. I have a hard time cutting them out without butchering them. Dad can cut them out on a fish in a couple seconds. I think it’s a matter of practice.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I hear you about cutting them out.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

I prefer flathead shoulders.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.