Mcarlson – cooking help

• timmy

You asked us to ask…..

How can I make hash browns that don’t turn grey when I cook them? I love homemade hash browns that I shred myself. They look great when I shred them, nice and white, but then when I cook them, they turn grey? Browns in a restaurant are usually nice and white – visually appealing – but the home made ones don’t look like that. They still taste great, but don’t look like it!

T

duke.harbaugh

Rinse the shreds in cold water. I think the Ms. Even soaks them in cold water

joe_the_fisher
    Wisconsin Dells WI

Your making me hungry..I love hashbrowns!!

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

What are you cooking them in?

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

The type of potato will make a difference too. I use the thicker skinned, hard white potato varieties when shredding for hashbrowns and rinse the heck out of them. Let them drain well while heating up the butter in a skillet. I use a mix or butter and margarine, but I don’t add the margarine until AFTER I have flipped them.

cpetey
    Onalaska, Wi

Use precooked taters. In a pinch, I cook them in the microwave for 5 mins (al dente). Let them cool…then shred. Works best for cubed/fried taters too.

E Ashwell
    Apple Valley, MN

My name’s not Mcarlson but you’ve got watery hashbrowns going in the pan. They need to be dry and wrung out before throwing them in some hot azz oil. Once you think they are dry enough, give them a few more pats to dry them a little more. I just woke up so I’ll be ready for breakfast soon. Pm me when I should start the truck up.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Very dry like all have said. I also shred some onion and mix in with the potatos. My favorite side with beer batter walleye.

timmy

Quote:

Butter. What else is there?

mcarlsen

Yep everyone is spot on. The reason they are changing colors on you is because they are oxidizing. Oxygen is not a friend of food. By soaking them in water and washing off some of the starch it should help. Anytime we store potatoes that are cut in advance we always store them in water. You can also blanch them. That will definitely solve the problem but don’t cook them long if you do or they won’t be as crispy and delicious.

STEVES
    New Richmond, Wi

Quote:

Quote:

Butter. What else is there?

Not much…bacon grease.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Quote:

Yep everyone is spot on. The reason they are changing colors on you is because they are oxidizing. Oxygen is not a friend of food. By soaking them in water and washing off some of the starch it should help. Anytime we store potatoes that are cut in advance we always store them in water. You can also blanch them. That will definitely solve the problem but don’t cook them long if you do or they won’t be as crispy and delicious.

Spot on… I cooked at a hotdog stand in Chicago during my high school days in Chicago…After cutting/soaking the Fries…they are blanched in 250 degree oil then browned in

350 degree oil.

Blanch em in some oil then finish em by adding some butter to brown…YUM!

timmy

Thanks all! You guys are great.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.