12-14 days

• Dadams
    Emmetsburg, Iowa

I just tucked away in the fridge 2 jumbo batches of pickled pike. Northern pike fishing has been great the last few weeks for me. I can’t eat the pickled herring off the salad bars anymore after doing my own pickled pike. 12-14 days and it will be ready to go! Meat for deer camp, ice fishing camp, and any night that ends with a beer.

meestro

If I asked for you to send me the recipe would you oblige, good man?

flatlandfowler

I just started a batch tonight using a recipe I found right here at IDO. I would be interested in your recipe as well if you are willing to share

Dadams
    Emmetsburg, Iowa

Real simple

Step 1 – cut fish into bite size pieces then soak fish in on-iodized salt water solution (pickling salt) for 48 hours.

Step 2 – pour off salt water and rinse in cold water then soak fish in white vinegar for 24 hours

Step 3 – drain vinegar and discard. Open a window because the next part of the process will bring a year to your eyes. Bring to a boil for 5 minutes: 11/2 cups sugar, 3 cups white vinegar, 4 bay leaves, 1 tsp WHOLE all spice, 3 tsp mustard SEED, 11/2 tsp WHOLE black pepper. After boiling set in garage and let cool. DO NOT add to fish HOT!

Step – 4 add cooled brine to fish in a container that will fit in fridge. Add 2 cups or more white port wine onions and peppers.

Step 5 – let stand I fridge 12-14 days. Open and stir on occasion to ensure fish is covered in brine.

Add saltine crackers with a little horseradish sauce and enjoy!

cpetey
    Onalaska, Wi

I like the chemistry behind this recipe.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

that is exactly the recipe I used. Made 6 pints, have my last one coming up fishing with us on Thursday. It is better the longer you let it sit in the fridge. I couldn’t find port, so I used something dry and cheap.

Aquaholic
    WI

i did the same thing a couple weeks ago…mine is ready…sampled it today..

buck-slayer

My recipe is very similar. The fish will stick together when soaking in the salt you should separate them after 24hrs. You will also find out when doing this if you have any small cuts in your hands.

erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

dumb question as I plan to do this at first ice with our pike. Do you need to refrigerate the fish or can I store it on a shelf in the basement?

KP
    Hudson, WI

Quote:

dumb question as I plan to do this at first ice with our pike. Do you need to refrigerate the fish or can I store it on a shelf in the basement?

I have always stored mine in the fridge. It technically is still raw fish but I could be wrong. Not a dumb question at all.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Refrigerate

Some people say to freeze the pike for a couple of weeks before pickling….
    Something about killing a parasite…
    I’ve never done it but I might start

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.