Favorite Fish Breading

• Boogerbreath
    Bemidji, MN

In all my years of fishing I have never used store bought fish breading (like Shore Lunch). I have always created my own. What’s your favorite? I hear some mix batches to get the right texture and flavor.

Thanks
    Boogs

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Northwoods Cajun Walleye.

shockers
    Rochester

Stop by and I’ll show u what I use.

dorancehefte
    Wisconsin

Mix corn meal and pancake flour (the add water only type) 50-50. Dredge the damp filet in the mixture to get a very light coating. Drop in hot oil. Sprinkle with Lowry’s seasoning salt as soon as you take the filet out of the pan.

The result is a slightly sweet coating from the powdered milk and sugar in the pancake flour. Be ready to fix twice as many pieces per person since there is no heavy breading to fill them up.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Crushed Pecans and flour.

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

Andy’s

Ed Stern
    Goodhue, MN, Goodhue County,

I have tried lots of varieties under lots of conditions. The favorite in our house is still regular saltine crackers crushed. Dip fillets in egg, then in the crackers. Fry to your liking. I do mine with a side of A-1& sprinkled with Lowery’s. My wife prefers mayo. The cornmeal & pancake mix sounds like I should try that with some fish soon.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Always tastes right.

Sturdiwheat

1 Cajun
    2 Original
    3 Lemon

Inexpensive
    Quick
    Easy
    and always the same great flavor time after time.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

panko and lemmon pepper

eyesfishin
    Somerset, WI

None. Throw em on the grill with some olive oil, garlic powder, pepper and enjoy. 3-4 min per side.

brucea
    Maplewood,MN

Dipped in egg then covered with Panko

E Ashwell
    Apple Valley, MN

Crushed pretzels are great after an egg wash.

stuart
    Mn.

Best homemade is crushed rice crispies and flour.About 4 to 1 and salt and pepper to taste.Milk and egg wash then roll and fry.
    Best store bought I have to second the sturdy wheat original.

cdm
    Oronoco, SE. MN.

sour creme and chives instant potatoe mix

mudneck_joe
    SE MN

smashed ritz crackers, minched almonds, minched parmesian cheese, sea salt and garlic salt.

neverhome
    Anoka county

smashed ritz and season all. For the Gluten free folks I have found that “Goodies” mix seasoned to tast is very good. It is a nice light breading.

buzzer
    Garnavillo Iowa

Mise all purpose seasoning is my new favorite its a cold batter then add my lemon pepper and garlic and parsley and creolefew seasoning and some other seasonings . My 2nd favorite is townhouse crackers with same seasonings in a pinch can’t beat shore lunch for store bought my 2ยข”

big-muddy
    Rockfalls, Illinois

FryKrisp and panko bread crumbs n BEER. Put more beer in the batter maker than in the batter.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

i get mine from up nort. i guy buy the name charlie woodworth-? from grand rapids makes it. has wild rice in it. still the best i found. think jason boser has a hand in it as well!!!

bigpike

If your looking to try a good store bought breading – I found Zatarains makes a good light tasty and spicey breading mix. And its cheap. I really like some of the ideas above though.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Quote:

If your looking to try a good store bought breading – I found Zatarains makes a good light tasty and spicey breading mix. And its cheap. I really like some of the ideas above though.

X2

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

Quote:

Andy’s

I add Tones granulated garlic and herb seasoning to the flour coating then egg wash then Andy’s. The garlic and herb gives an extra depth of flavor.

muskeye
    Duluth, Mn

Shorelunch buffalo chicken with Panko

gut_hooked

Dredge fillet in flour, then egg wash, then Italian seasoned bread crumbs – doesn’t get any better than that.

FGH

eyehuntr14
    SE WI

1 Bag Andy’s and 2 rolls Ritz has been our breading for awhile now…it’s great! Gonna try Townhouse flipside crackers and Zatarans Southern Fry tonight…I’ll post how it goes…
    EH14

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

1/2 yellow cornmeal and half flour. Dry fillet then dip in egg wash the yolk and all, then into the meal flour coating. I let my fillets lay in the coating mix for atleast a half hour so the breading sticks to the fillet more. Makes a really crisp and crunchy coating and it seals the juices into the fillet, fry in very hot oil. Add any spices right onto the fillet befor washing in egg, hand rub the spices into the fillet so they stick befor the wash.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Quote:

1 Bag Andy’s and 2 rolls Ritz has been our breading for awhile now…it’s great! Gonna try Townhouse flipside crackers and Zatarans Southern Fry tonight…I’ll post how it goes…
    EH14

And??

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Hes probably still full and snoozing Denny and can’t type.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.