Fishing with Ned

• Riverrat

Okay so a fairly famous Yak fishing you tuber fishes in my area. He goes out the same weekend as me and bang catches the smallies off the beds with a ned rig. Same fish looked at me like I was a leper or something. I’m going to try and not get angry when he posts this week by catching some smallies on a ned rig this weekend. Any rigging or action tips I need to know?

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

No secrets. Were you also throwing a ned? Was he throwing a different color? Chartreuse really pisses off smallies. Maybe he had lighter test fluoro. Worked it more or less aggressively.

My advice, watch for the video to come out and figure out what he was doing that you weren’t.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I know who you’re referring to. I’ve seen his videos. Bear in mind that he has about 6-8 hours of footage shrunk into a 20 minute video, so there is a lot of time where he is NOT catching fish too. If he posted a 7 hour video that only had 5 fish caught, no one would watch.

Bed fishing is not as easy as just tossing onto the bed and expecting to get bit. They are not eating, they are defending, and the fish has to be in the right mood for it. I personally do not specifically bass fish when they are on the beds. I’m not against it, as long as the fish is released quickly. I just don’t have the patience to sit there for an hour trying to make one fish bite.

Riverrat

No secrets. Were you also throwing a ned? Was he throwing a different color? Chartreuse really pisses off smallies. Maybe he had lighter test fluoro. Worked it more or less aggressively.

My advice, watch for the video to come out and figure out what he was doing that you weren’t.

No I was fishing a tube. I watched the video later, but it’s a small town so if your from around here you can tell exactly where its at. He was probably there a couple hours after me. The flouro and chartreuse are useful tips though, i’ve gotten pretty lazy about tying a leader. Normally love watching his vids, but it was the same exact fish, and that kinda chaps me a little. He’s also really good at not telling his audience where he fishes. Does the plastic need to float, I have a bunch of yum dingers that I could cut in half? I’m actually pretty against bed fishing but it’s hard not to on the river when it’s covered in beds.

broeker
    Minneapolis, MN

Does the plastic need to float, I have a bunch of yum dingers that I could cut in half?

Technically, no, it does not need to float. But practically, I’d say you will see a noticeable difference between something like the Z-Man TRD/Tickler etc. compared most other plastics.

If you search YouTubes of underwater finesse/ned fishing, you’ll find lots of videos that show just how effective that floating little TRD is while the mushroom jig hops along the bottom.

Since I started learning the ned 3-4 years, ago I’ve caught more fish of all species (and so many river smallies) on it than any other lure and I now have to force myself to try out other stuff instead sometimes.

My number one tip is to relax and let the rig do its work; so many of my catches have come while I just let it sit there, followed by a quick drag/hop or two all the way back to the boat. I also put out several feet of extra line after my cast to make sure that it can float down to the bottom entirely naturally, and only then do I start working it.

p.s. I also usually avoid bed fishing, but earlier in June I had a rare opportunity where the water was so clear and shallow that I could see the fish, the bed, and my ned rig in real-time. If I dropped it down right off the bed, they would sit at stare at, even if I wiggled it around. But the second I started it dragging it away with a little hop they would charge at it. It was obviously not a perceived “threat” to their beds at that point, but proved to be an irresistible snack nonetheless.

broeker
    Minneapolis, MN

Also, why is it a secret who the YouTuber is? I’d like to know because I love watching good videos of people out smallie fishing.

Is it the NDYakAngler?

I don’t see any recent ned rig videos on his channel so I doubt it, but he is the Bob Ross of fishing videos, and the best one out there as far as I’m concerned. He does have a recent video slaying smallies on a giant “bird” topwater.

LabDaddy1

NDYakangler always makes it look so easy man… The waters he fishes look straight out of a fairytale too. Bob Ross of fishing does fit him perfectly, also…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.