Fishing to End Hunger Gull Lake

• Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

Anybody else fishing the Walleye Dan tournament this weekend? Will be the 4th year for us. Shaping up to be the best weather we’ve seen so far. Not sure if that’ll make for good fishing or not, but the lake is cooling down nicely. I think it’ll be good.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Dan a guy I used to work with won the Event a couple years ago. Joe, How do you you guys target eyes on Gull? Fished it once a while ago staying at a resort but that was middle of July not prime fishing.

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

I’ve only fished it 8 times, day before and day of event for the last 4 years. We do get some pointers from a guide buddy up there. That said, I think this is about the best time of year to fish it. What I’ve been told is it’s a very wind driven bite. Our go to is rigging large creek chubs on the wind swept weedline breaks. I try glide baits every year with little to no success.

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

I’ll be there again this year! The weather is going to be awesome this year. Much better than last year! I’m expecting a lot more fish go be weighed this year! I’ll be on the water all day tomorrow and Friday pre fishing. I know people who have been out all week! 😳

Nodakk

The Zorbaz launch has been packed every morning this week and I’ve seen lots of boats on the main lake. Best of luck to everyone fishing. Curious to hear what works

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

Good luck RJ! We’ll be hitting the water tomorrow morning for some scouting. Hopefully we can find a few.

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

Well, we had a good time on Gull, but our fishing left a bit to be desired. Spent most of our time on Friday motoring around checking out spots. Just could not find fish schooled up on the breaks like we have in the past. Spent maybe 2 hours that day with lines in the water with not a single bite. Game day was similar, but we did manage 3 overs on leadcore and lost good one. Rumor has it that a number of the top teams caught their fish a lot shallower than I would’ve thought to fish. Seems a lot of the fish hadn’t pulled out of the weeds yet.

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

Well, we had a good time on Gull, but our fishing left a bit to be desired. Spent most of our time on Friday motoring around checking out spots. Just could not find fish schooled up on the breaks like we have in the past. Spent maybe 2 hours that day with lines in the water with not a single bite. Game day was similar, but we did manage 3 overs on leadcore and lost good one. Rumor has it that a number of the top teams caught their fish a lot shallower than I would’ve thought to fish. Seems a lot of the fish hadn’t pulled out of the weeds yet.

Glad to hear you pulled some fish in! We pulled 1 on a jiggin rap (14.5″) then 1 on a dropshot and crawler that broke off just as it was coming up. It was an over, looked 21-23 or so. Didn’t weigh anything.

Winning team pushed me off a spot first thing in the morning. I was making passes over the saddle we were fishing and they came from out deep, then said “Hey we’re trying to pitch here, give us some space” me being too nice just let them push their way in and they pulled 4 fish off the spot before leaving. Ended up on another spot with a bunch of fish, but most fish wouldn’t commit. Caught one 14.5″ and had an over up to the boat that came off. I’ve noticed the fish have been a lot more difficult to catch out there this year. Someone kept saying how healthy the fishery is. If it was that healthy, there wouldn’t have been almost half the field with 0’s.

Last years winners had 0, local guide and his dad who are known for killing it on gull all the time 0, plenty of other local guides also had 0. It’s not as healthy as some keep thinking it is.

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

Yeah, it can get frustrating with that many boats out there. In 4 years, we haven’t had to exchange words with another. I try to avoid the busy spots and that maybe doesn’t help us much. But, last year we had our spot to ourselves and one more under would’ve put us in the top 10. I think our biggest mistake on Saturday was spending too much time trying to make the creek chub rigging work. It’s amazing how fast 8 hours goes by!

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

Yeah, it can get frustrating with that many boats out there. In 4 years, we haven’t had to exchange words with another. I try to avoid the busy spots and that maybe doesn’t help us much. But, last year we had our spot to ourselves and one more under would’ve put us in the top 10. I think our biggest mistake on Saturday was spending too much time trying to make the creek chub rigging work. It’s amazing how fast 8 hours goes by!

Very true. I switched to a dropshot and crawler fairly quickly after dragging a chub over those fish for 30 mins with no reaction. Watching fish chase baits on Active Target sure is irritating! Technology is great to help you find and make sure you’re casting to fish. In the end, if they don’t want to bite, they simply won’t bite.

I had the leadcore rods in the boat, planned on using them if the bite was tough. Ended up not using them… With how spread out fish were, I should have!

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

Heading up tomorrow morning for some prefishing prior to the big event on Saturday. Hoping this cool down puts the fish in an eating mood and we can put at least a few fish in the boat! No illusions of winning the thing, but it’s always a good time.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.