Fishing Ontario side

• Peter Herman

It’s been a few years since I’ve been up to the rainy in the spring. Planning on heading up first weekend of April this year. We used to get our RABC permits and Ontario license to fish the Ontario side. It’s sounds like some things have changed recently. Just curious about what you need to fish Ontario side and regulations.

Ryan Speers
    Waconia, MN

You’ll need the outdoor card and your fishing license. I never get RABC permits but I can’t say you do not need them, it just depends on how you are getting into Canada. We use passports.

Peter Herman

Thanks for the reply. I was wondering more about fishing the Canadian side of the river after having launched on MN side.

Ryan Speers
    Waconia, MN

With your outdoor card and Canadian license you are allowed to fish the Canadian side now without reporting as long as you never touch soil.

I believe that prohibits you from using an anchor as well.

Peter Herman

Ok that makes sense. Just have to follow Ontario rules like no live bait, no alcohol, etc…. Can someone fish Ontario side with a DUI?

Ryan Speers
    Waconia, MN

No live bait unless you buy it in Canada.

I’d think in your scenario you would be ok with a DUI. Some guys get through border crossing with a DUI and can fish, but I personally know a guy that was forced to turn around.

Peter Herman

Sounds good. Thanks for the info. Excited to get back up there again

B-man

If you’re not allowed into Canada you’re not allowed to fish Canadian water.

Charlie W
    TRF / Pool 3 / Grand Rapids, MN / SJU

Yeah I see a lot of people out there either flirting with the line or fully fishing Ontario waters. Many times they have live bait and/or alcohol. I have been checked out there by Ontario officers a couple times the last two springs. I recommend following Canada’s laws… could get expensive otherwise.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.