Fishing magnet

• pass0047
    Pool4

Looking at getting magnet for my son to use to fish for metal items. Such a variety of strengths and costs. Any one do this and have any recommendations on first hand use. Reviews I see from Amazon have one saying too powerful and next review of same it saying it will barely pick up a paper clip. Thanks in advance.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

I picked one up on amazon, “2625lb Double Sided Fishing Magnet Bundle Pack” from the brand “muscular magnetics”.

$100 gamble, it certainly isn’t 2625 pounds of force when I pick things up in my garage with it. Haven’t had it on the water yet. I imagine there’s a standard test to rate these things where they put it on a perfectly flat piece or steel and pull directly off and measure the peak force. I do know it will pick up 20 lb anchors which is what I’ll be using it for. We have a bit of an anchor graveyard out on a lake we have fished for years and I intend to get a few of them back this year )

I’ll let you know how it goes I might test it out this weekend.

pass0047
    Pool4

Thanks for the response. Good luck with anhor retrieval.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I see some of those Magnet fishing videos that are out on Youtube and chuckle as some of the things they come up with. I don’t have enough regular fishing time or I’d play abound with doing some of this.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

If you are after small things like jigs & lures just get a cow magnet. Should be able to get one at Fleet Farm or your local vet.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

I’m going to guess I’ll get about 500 hooks too, but we’ll see. I caught a really nice Musky rod in this area once while trolling, it must have been lost just days before I snagged it because it was in excellent shape.

Gregg Gunter

A diver told me that there are tons of anchors in Forest Lake. Might be able to get intel at a dive shop and take your son “fishing “.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

A diver told me that there are tons of anchors in Forest Lake. Might be able to get intel at a dive shop and take your son “fishing “.

If you are talking forest lake as in forest lake mn, I know 3 that are there for sure. Lol 1 mine and 2 other buddies. My son accidentally through the anchor over with out it being tied to the rope lol

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

My son accidentally through the anchor over with out it being tied to the rope.

My wife and SILs did this on the pontoon except they had the anchor tied to the rope, but the rope was not tied to the boat. rotflol Needless to say, the anchor line now has a float attached to the end. )

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

My son watched some of them YouTube videos and wanted to do some magnet fishing. So I got him all set up. I can’t remember what magnet I ordered for him. It has wrecked more days fishing than I would like to talk about. He always wants to bring it along, fish for 15 min than tosses it out and spooks any fish nearby. I am not sure how it happened but I think it got missed place over the winter. whistling The only things he has gotten was the stuff he dropped down the hole ice fishing.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Gregg Gunter wrote:</div>

If you are talking forest lake as in forest lake mn, I know 3 that are there for sure. Lol 1 mine and 2 other buddies. My son accidentally through the anchor over with out it being tied to the rope lol

Last summer we had some couples out on the tritoon on the river. The wind was a modest 8-10mph, but that thing is like a kite. I had one of the other guys drop a 25# anchor with 6′ of chain and rope to hold us or at least slow some of our movement on a big mud flat while we had some beverages and talked smart. He no more than said “Got it” after I asked how it was going, and as I went to move a cooler I got to the front just in time to watch his neat boy scout knot come untied and the rope quickly sink. Thanks for the reminder post. I had forgot about this until now. He still owes me flame

KPE
    River Falls, WI

I know there are at least 6 anchors in Lake Vermilion and I know exactly where they are. I watched my dad lose many growing up, he’s going to have a good laugh when I bring some of them back to him.

I’m interested in the river though. There’s bound to be some interesting stuff in there.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

I also lost one in vermilion last year ) My buddy who was fishing in my boat had an even more hilarious moment though- set his rod down on the bow while we were spot locked in heavy wind. As the minnkota was doing its dance to keep us in place it grabbed his rod, tossed it overboard, but got tangled up in the line. Ended up breaking his line and his rod was lost but he got his slip bobber and hook back.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Am I the only person who has increased his anchor count?

My Lund came with a plastic coated anchor and I wanted another one but for years, I searched and couldn’t find one.

While fishing near the P3 dam a customer asked if he could help by pulling up the anchor. For some reason I said Yeah Go ahead. He was struggling! I told him that it wasn’t THAT heavy! Just as I was going up to help him two anchors come over the side of the boat. My water spike and the exact anchor I’ve been looking years for!

Anyway, I wonder if that Johnson 3 hp is still around the 3rd wing dam? Spotted it with a camera one day 10 or so years ago. coffee

pass0047
    Pool4

Thanks for info. Bought one from brutemagnets like eelpoutguy recommended. Will see. Hope it does not take too much time away from actual fishing but any time on the water with my son is a good time/blessing. Thanks again. Told my son ido would come through

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.