Fishing Line Section Wiped Out at Fleet Farm

• BCNeal
    Bloomington, MN

I was in the Lakeville Fleet Farm yesterday and the fishing line section was over 90% out of stock. A couple of weeks ago the 6,8,10 lb mono lines were empty but I expected to see the items back in stock after the rush for opener was over. The Gander Outdoor in Lakeville fishing line department was wiped out a few weeks ago too.
    I know fishing license sales are up significantly this year because of the pandemic but is increased demand the only reason?
    Have there been supply chain issues too?
    I didn’t think our fishing line was coming from China? Other fishing items at Fleet Farm were also in very low supply.
    Has anyone heard a reason?

Gitchi Gummi

The duluth fleet farm has been out of stock of 90+% of their fishing line since before fishing opener… Pretty disappointing. Gander wasn’t any better. The only 8 LB mono I could find at either store was one 110 yard spool that judging by the cardboard, was about 3 years old. Luckily I can support local shops like Marine General who had fully stocked shelves. If that doesn’t give you another reason to support the local and mom/pop stores and baitshops, I don’t know what will!

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Supply chain issues I would think. Remember any domestic line producers were likely shut down for a month or better due to the virus.

I also noticed all the shelves at FF in Cambridge seemed under stocked. I didn’t go in the fishing department so I can’t comment on those.

Bob Ford
    West Side Mille Lacs Lake

Pure fishing was shut down for two months because of covid. (Berkley, Spiderwire, Stren) Luckily we are fully stocked as we did our orders last fall and received everything in January. Stores that waited until early spring to place an order are going to be waiting for a bit.

mike e

Home defense tripline early warning system panic buying?

Alagnak Pete
    Lakeville

Lakeville FF has been going down hill for quite some time not just this spring and it’s not just the fishing section that never gets restocked. Good luck finding anything in stock from the weekly sale flyer too. A couple weeks ago when I walked by the little bait cooler I could smell it from 20′ away. There were 3 bulk bags of night crawlers in there that were liquefied.

BDR

Same with Brooklyn Park store. Don’t think they ever got new stock this spring. Lots of 40-60# braid. Nothing 3-12 pound.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Even Cabelas was out of stock last time I was there of 6-8 lb mono and braid.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

It was looted.

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

The number of people on the water this year is insane. Using the Croix as an example, the number of people fishing on a Tu is comparable to a Saturday in past years.

I’m sure many of these ‘new’ fisherman are buying up supplies faster than stores are used to stocking them.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Even a lot of online places are low on stock. I’ve received emails from online places several times that my order is “delayed” so I looked into it deeper and actually called someone. After waiting on hold for 20 minutes, they told me they literally do not have enough manpower to go fill orders in the warehouse.

Charles

Everything is out of stock, it sucks.

Looking for some 30lb 832 ended up with 65lb, I guess I will be using that for a frogging rod.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Same in Oakdale. Bare shelves everywhere in fishing. All guns put away and all windows barricaded.

Gitchi Gummi

Supply chain issues I would think. Remember any domestic line producers were likely shut down for a month or better due to the virus.

I also noticed all the shelves at FF in Cambridge seemed under stocked. I didn’t go in the fishing department so I can’t comment on those.

somehow the local mom/pop shops don’t have any issues with stocking their shelves… maybe they are just better at ordering? who would of thought that around May, fishing line would be a big seller in Minnesota?

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

somehow the local mom/pop shops don’t have any issues with stocking their shelves… maybe they are just better at ordering? who would of thought that around May, fishing line would be a big seller in Minnesota?

They also don’t have the volume of sales.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Seems like a lot of the bigger stores don’t restock for a season anymore, fill the shelves, sell out popular items, restock for the next season that is months away. You would surely think it would be easier to restock popular items. I understand new items are a crap shoot, but when the same things sell out year after year, order more and make more money.

Gitchi Gummi

They also don’t have the volume of sales.

For a place like Marine General, I would disagree. It may not be 1:1 but they aren’t far off.

Ripjiggen

I can confirm there was supply chain issues and sales reps at least at one major company I know were furloughed. They are back now but are way backed up in replenishing.

blackbay
    mn

I like FF, but I’m disappointed in their restocking, or lack there of. It’s not just in the hunting and fishing section. The only difference is they will order more product elsewhere, but it takes time. Since hunting and fishing is seasonal, they seem to only get so much then when it runs out the shelves are bare.

Gitchi Gummi

I think Fleet has been having “supply chain issues” ever since the Mills family sold the company.

muskie-tim
    Rush City MN

Marine general is out of a lot of items because manufacturers and distributors had to shut down for covid. Maybe not fishing line but there are plenty of items they are out of and can’t get. Nothing they can do. Marine general is my favorite store and I’m not defending FF as their inventory management is atrocious. Just sayin.

I buy online from Marine General and when in Duluth stop in. Nice store, friendly staff, fair prices.

Beast

#fishlivesmatter, I think most shipments to restock are behind due to the covid outbreak, should start showing up soon, I had a boat coming in and it was delayed because the plant was shutdown, it came in to the dealership this last Monday.

Dennis Williams
    Apple Valley, MN

I went to FFarm, Gander and Walmart yesterday looking for 20 Lb braid. No braid unless you need 40 -100 lbs. There was not much else for fluro or mono under 40 lbs. The guy at Gander said supply chain issues. I hated to to it but amazon will have it here tomorrow.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Great! Now hoarding fishing line. When will it end? Took me 2 months to find TP! I guess on a positive note, most of my reels have 832 braid so no need to re spool!

I think Fleet has been having “supply chain issues” ever since the Mills family sold the company.

^^^THIS! Although a little more spendy than their competitors, Thorne Bros. Had a full stock of line as of last week and Capra’s was petty well stocked as well.

BoatsHateMe
    Between Pool 2 and Pool 4

The weekend before opener the only way I could get 4lb test was to buy a reel and have them spool it up

disco bobber

I wonder what the ammo situation is going to be this Fall.

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

Fleetfarm has been going downhill for a while now, before covid, don’t shop there much anymore when it used to be one of my favorite place to go for fishing gear. If you are ever by a runnings, try there. I was at the Monticello one around opener and they were well stocked with a good selection. It will nice to have one in St. Cloud, about 5 minutes from me. This and Scheels will be my go to.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.