Fishing in Yellowstone?

• Buffalo Fishhead

FYI… the little brook looks to be a little brown.

The two photos shown in the post are a brown trout and a Yellowstone cutthroat trout.

Buffalo Fishhead

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Looks like a Fun road trip, Joe! Never been there.

-J.

Gino
    Grand rapids mn

We just got back from a week there also. Quite possibly the most amazing place on earth. We’ve already made plans to go back next year.

Attachments:
    1. 760AB2D8-6E9B-46AF-9759-80AEAEA94E5C.jpeg

2. EE0A2210-D063-4DEA-9098-9C7C2E647A04.jpeg

3. E37B658D-BC1F-487B-94D5-624013996124.jpeg

buschman
    Pool 2

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>tegg wrote:</div>
    FYI… the little brook looks to be a little brown.

The two photos shown in the post are a brown trout and a Yellowstone cutthroat trout.

Buffalo Fishhead

Crap, tells you how good I am at the ID part.. I thought the red dots made it a brook. It was a very young fish so just grabbed a quick photo and let him go without too much inspection.

buschman
    Pool 2

We just got back from a week there also. Quite possibly the most amazing place on earth. We’ve already made plans to go back next year.

X2!!! I may not get back for a couple years but we will be back. I agree with you 100% !!

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

Did you get a chance to fish with the fly rod or did you use the casting bubble? If using the bubble did it work very well? I have suspicions it would be difficult to minimize drag when used with dry flies.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Bushman, Gino, there’s a lot to do outside of the West Entry too.

Take HWY 287 [Gallitin Rid] north out of West Yellowstone a few miles to where it makes a left and becomes Hebgin Lake Rd. Towards the west end of the lake you’ll find Kirkwood Marina on the lake side and Terras Nova Cabins on the other. The nephew manages both places. At the marinas one can rent a boat and fish the lake, which is full of some super trout. You’re as likely to see grizzlies on the drive as in the park as well as moose and elk. Maybe 15 miles to the resort from the west entry.

If you stay on Gallatin Road after 287 takes the left you’ll come to Hiway 64, a left turn, and also called Lone Mountain Road which takes you to Big Sky, Montana. Super scenery on Lone Mountains road and Big Sky has a wonderful downtown area with a village square that seems to have something happening about every day during the summer. Not a bad drive, maybe an hour, and a great diversion from the park traffic. Plan a day.

Another day trip is out of the south entry on HWY’s 287/191/26 to Moran where you’ll shed 287 and pick up 89. Stay south to Jackson Hole. You’ll pass along the Teton Mountain Range to the west and they are just something to see that you won’t find in Yellowstone. Jackson Hole is a noted skiing destination for rich and famous who also have year round homes there. Seeing celebs is nothing while taking in the shopping in the down town. In my opinion the mountains between the south entry and Jackson Hole are the most beautiful on North American soil and are some of the highest. I could waste a day just looking at them.

buschman
    Pool 2

Tegg, I did not use a fly rod.. For sure will the next time I go. I ended up taking the bubble off and just casting the buggers. I could get about 25 ft cast when it was wet and that worked better. Thats when i started catching them. The bubble was no good for me. Missed about 10 bites before I took it off.

Tom, when I go back I would be happy to take an hour and listen!!!

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Busch….As mentioned, we’ve been there several times and have snooped in every direction imaginable out of the park. There’s just a ton of stuff to take in while in the park and as much within a couple hours drive just outside the park.

I forgot the east entry and Cody. There’s usually a full-blown rodeo or two in Cody just about every night of the week during the summer. They aren’t real expensive but are a hoot to watch, especially those darned clowns.

When you’re ready to make the return, plan a couple hours of chat. Ma and I would be happy to meet with ya’ll somewhere between us for a burger and a beer and we can bring all sorts of ideas with the Ipad. Just let me know.

buschman
    Pool 2

Will do Tom, I am not too far from ya! Thank you!

Buffalo Fishhead

Tom Sawveil:

How often do you get to Yellowstone? My wife and I go twice a year, spring and fall. We always see many MN licensed vehicles while we are there. I always wonder if any of those people are the same ones on these forums.

We spend our time in the north part of Yellowstone, mainly the Heydan and Lamar Valleys because we go there to view wildlife, mainly wolves and bears.

We will be there the third week of September to watch elk and look for wolves and bears.

Buffalo Fishhead

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Every three or four years. We were going to go this year but with this virus stuff and me being one of the compromised we opted out. Next year most likely. We prefer the north loop as well but we seem to focus on sheep and goats. We have all the bears and wolves we need at the cabin. Elk and buf get old too. We see lots of goats between the NW entry and Hot Springs.

With the nephew just outside of the park we set up the pop-up in his driveway and just do our thing and hook up with them in the evening.

We’ve got the senior pass, the one before they changed things so we get in and out of the park just by flashing the card.

We’ve done Glacier a couple of times too as well as Roosevelt Nat’l Park in Medora N. DAK.

Actually we were going to Medora for a week, then over to Yellowstone for four or five days, but again, this virus stuff……

Buffalo Fishhead

Tom Sawvell:

We, too, like to glass for mountain goats and have two spots where we do this each time we go. We always see a bunch at those spots.

We usually see bighorn sheep in the spring on out way to the park from Cody and usually see some not to long after we enter the east entrance. In the fall I have a couple spots I glass for sheep.

I should have specified grizzly bears are the ones we are mainly looking for, but enjoy seeing the black bears as well.

We do enjoy seeing the wolves. This spring we were able to see 8-10 pups at the popular den site that is viewable from the road.

The elk in Mammoth can be entertaining in the fall.

Buffalo Fishhead

Greenhorn
    Bismarck, ND

My wife and I are doing a last-minute labor day weekend trip to an Idaho town about an hour from Grand Teton NP and about 1.5 hrs from Yellowstone. I think we will spend most of our short time in Grand Teton. Does anyone have fishing advice for that area?

Thanks!

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.