Fishing equipment advice

• Kevin rebelo

Hey guys, I want to get started in fishing and want to know what fishing rods you suggest. I want something that’s high end in the $100-$300 range. A fishing pole that can catch a 20 pound fish on a lucky day. And any advice for what bait I should get and what hooks and weights would be helpful )

Gino
    Grand rapids mn

Do you watch in depth outdoors. Most of you questions could be answered in one or two episodes, and there just fun to watch.

Gino
    Grand rapids mn

I would not start with a high rod ,sorry just seems like a waste of money. I’ve broken tens of rods as a kid traveling on my bicycle to the river, or slamming the tip in a car door. So when I read your post i may have been rude. I would start with an inexpensive rod in a med or possibly a med heavy. Learn to care and transport it safely and then think about a high end rod. As far as bait and hooks and weights really comes down to the specific species of fish your after. Reading fishing articles and watching fishing shows is the best advice I can give you. Good luck

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Entry level fenwick or similar for 50, 50-60 dollar, shimano, okuma, diawa real. Fish with it and figure out what you want different before spending more money. Figure out how you like to fish, where and for what.

Dan
    Southeast MN

It’s up to you how you spend your money but for a guy just starting out many outdoor store brand combos work just fine. Cabelas, Scheels, and Gander if you can find one have pretty quality store-brand stuff for less price.

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

For someone just starting, get an ugly stick. There’s a lot better rods out there but for a beginner they’re tough and you can catch anything with one!

jwellsy

With a $200 budget.

Fishing license $25
    pole (ugly stick) $25
    Okuma reel $50
    line $20
    tackle (weights, swivels, snelled hooks etc.) $50
    Tackle box $30

Another option is to watch your local Craigslist/Sporting Goods section. You can even run an ad for fishing gear wanted. Do you have any local buddies that like to fish? They would probably love to help you put a rig together.

Sean Solberg
    St. Paul

As a contrarian response – do as you like with your money.

If I was looking at a general purpose fishing rod, it would be a 7′ medium light fast action rod and a good spinning reel.

At 100 price point, I would think about a used st croix triumph and a pflueger president or Shimano sedona in a 3000 size.

At the 200 price point I would go for a Daiwa Tatula rod and pair it with a Daiwa Procyon. The advantages of this combo will be a considerable step up in sensitivity in the rod and a better gearing/weight reduction in the reel.

At the 300 price point, I would suggest stepping up the rod, but not necessarily stepping up the reel. In spinning reels, you can still definitely get weight improvements by going up to a 200 price point, but a $200 rod is significantly more sensitive (thereby more fun) than a $100 rod. After that, you really start to hit points of diminishing returns. Rods i would consider – Fenwick elitetech, St Croix Legend Tournament, or used St Croix Legend elite/xtremes, Shimano Expride, and while I haven’t handled these – the Dobyns rods have an excellent reputation.

I’ve fished all these price point and up, and think that for general fishing the 200 or 300 combos will let you get most of the fun you will want from fishing. If you decide at that point that you want to get some role specific rods, you’ll have a better idea of what you want and need. Ideas at that point would be finesse jig specialty rods, drifting/rigging rods, casting rods for heavier baits – but getting started with any of the combos I mentioned would be a great time and relatively affordable.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Daiwa BG or Penn Battle 2 reel in 2500. St Croix Eyecon or Limit Creek 6’6” medium fast action rod. Suffix 832 10# braid.

Super versatile setup for multi species and can handle a big fish if needed.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

go get a Fenwick 6ft 6 medium or 7ft medium heavy. And a Shimano sienna 300 they are 30 bucks and the new ones are pretty solid. You’ll be in a 100 bucks.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Maybe I’m the one skeptic of the internet. Is this a legit ask? This reads like a marketing survey question. Very specific price points and a fish that doesn’t have a name.

To the OP, if you’re legit please come back with where you are and what species you want to catch. Do you have any existing equipment that you want to upgrade from? There’s a ton of helpful people here and on youtube.

Kevin rebelo

You made my day, do you want my birth certificate to prove I’m not robot lol
    I live in Massachusetts, I installed an app called fish brain so I’m all set on where to fish. I’m not looking for specific type of fish just want to catch any fish preferably big fish for fun. Im waiting on my fishing pole I ordered on dicks sporting goods and should be getting it on Wednesday. It was a $180 penn freshwater fishing pole.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.