Fishing advice for Lake Superior near Ashland, WI

• das_bass
    Mound, MN

Next week we are taking a trip to Ashland, WI area, and I was wondering if anyone has suggestions of who would be a good person to try some Superior fishing. Just one of me, so I really don’t want to hire a 6-person charter boat. If anyone is thinking of doing a trip a looking for someone to share expenses, please let me know too.

Thanks
    Dave

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I would send b-man a pm. He is a superior guy. He asked me to go with Sunday and I couldn’t make the trip work.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Be careful going with B-Man……you will have your picture plastered on the internet holding fish you caught. grin toast

cbeeksma
    Delta, WI

Are you just looking to fish trout/salmon among the islands? A buddy of mine caught 2 nice lakers fishing for smallies this week. There are a number of local guys who fish for smallies, walleyes and northerns. One of them may run out on a decent wind day and vertical jig for lakers. It is a blast.

cbeeksma
    Delta, WI

Sorry, meant to say local guides…..But maybe a local will see this post and invite you along…Good luck

B-man

Thanks for the kind words guys, “unfortunately” I’ll be gone all next week….headed to IR for five days mrgreen

Dan I recommend looking up Josh Teigen, he’s a local guide from Iron River that will get you out for anything you’re looking for. He runs a smaller boat and specializes with smaller groups or even just an individual. If he’s booked, he’ll be able to recommend some other guys to check with.

The area lake trout bite should be going good (I don’t think the quota closure has happened yet) and the smallmouth fishing should be picking up too. Vertical jigging for tullibee is always an option too. I’ve never done it but it sounds like a blast!

Good luck and report back!

http://www.joshteigen.com/

B-man

I would send b-man a pm. He is a superior guy. He asked me to go with Sunday and I couldn’t make the trip work.

You missed out on some good Laker action waytogo

Couldn’t find the salmon though, they’re always moving.

We limited out (lakers) and even released some fish toast

It was a tough bite for a lot of guys, but we found them and found what they wanted.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20200816_1202032.jpg

2. IMG_20200816_122922.jpg

Jim in Wisconsin

I haven’t fished Chequamagon Bay in so long I forgot how to spell it, BUT probably has some of the best fishing in Wisconsin. Launch in Ashland or Washburn. Fish the western shore of the bay in the many weed beds for nice northerns or the mouth of the Bad River for Northerns, walleye, bass or maybe salmon, and everywhere in between. Nice city campground on the lake in Washburn. I found the people in Ashland to be very helpful with fishing information. You could run down south of Mellen about 10 miles on Hwy. GG And fish VERY rural lakes such as Mineral, English, and Potters Lakes for Musky. Let me add that while the water temp in some of the shallow lakes can be toasty, it ain’t necessarily so in the bay. I’m not an expert but I think what happens is when the wind blows from the south it takes the hot surface water and blows it off shore which causes the deeper cooler water to come in shore. I’m not sure if this actually happens BUT I have experienced it with the 10-12′ depths in the lower 50s. so don’t let the hot weather scare you off.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.