FISHIN WITH JAKOB HALS!

• Nick Cox
    Minnesota

For you guys that don’t know Jakob Hals – this two word introduction covers the most important part: BIG FISH.

Jake and his buddies brought me out fishing this weekend on Saturday to the St. Croix River. He promised me nothing, but made sure we would have a good time. After getting on the river around 11am Saturday morning, we experienced slow fishing till late in the afternoon when the first sturgeon was brought topside. Between roughly 3pm in the afternoon and 8pm at night, we ended up with another five sturgeon.

I am proud to have shared my first sturgeon on ice experience with Jakob and his buddies, with their help, I successfully landed this 42″ fish of the night, estimated to be between 15-19 years old. What a blast, can’t wait to do it again! Thank you Jakob and friends!

Here are a few cell phone photos, sorry about any quality issues!

Attachments:
    1. unnamed.jpg

2. unnamed-4.jpg

3. unnamed-3.jpg

4. unnamed-1.jpg

5. unnamed-2.jpg

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

We know Jakob pretty good around here.

..and I know Jakob has a big smile on his face putting another sturgeon virgin on fish for the first time. )

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Thanks for the report and photos Nick!

Nick Cox
    Minnesota

I still haven’t wiped my sturgeon smile from my face, or the slime off my bibs. LOL

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Nick Cox wrote:</div>
    or the slime off my bibs.

good luck with that!

The old time sturgeon guys use the slimed bibs for a pillow through what use to be the off season. )

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Nice work! I’ve got to get out there.

Were you guys resting your bait right on the bottom? Circle hooks?

Jakob
    Keymaster
    Rogers

Nice work! I’ve got to get out there.

Were you guys resting your bait right on the bottom? Circle hooks?

Yep – half ounce weight and a 4/0 circle with half to a full crawler resting on the bottom. Bobber just as a strike indicator – these fish will look less than a sunfish bite, any movement, start reeling.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Yep – half ounce weight and a 4/0 circle with half to a full crawler resting on the bottom. Bobber just as a strike indicator – these fish will look less than a sunfish bite, any movement, start reeling.

Nice, thanks for the info. Do you guys do any hole hopping to locate them like on open water or do you wait for them to come to you? I assume with the shelter setup you wait for them to come to you.

I was thinking of trying iFishpros out there on a nice day and just moving one at a time until I find some fish.

Nick Cox
    Minnesota

@biggill I am going to try this out with the I Fish Pro, I don’t see why it wouldn’t work on the lightest bite indicator.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.