Fish Selfies

• Andy Fiolka
    Boise, Idaho

Now on my 2nd week fishing on ice for the season, I’m trying something a little different. The older I get, the more I enjoy letting my fish go back. It’s not that I don’t like eating fish, just the fact that it’s kind of nice to get home from a trip without having to make a mess cleaning the day’s catch. With the pressure our fish receive in this day and age, it sure can’t hurt to let them swim occasionally, either. I love to take pics of my catch, either to brag amongst good buddies, or to secure a memory to re-live years down the road. Usually, I’d be taking pics of this crappie (and a bunch just like it) right before the fillet knife takes care of him. This year, he’s a lucky fish. I’m sure that the occasional mess of fish will meet hot oil this winter, but I’ve thoroughly enjoyed putting them back so far this season.

Anyway, not trying to tell anyone what to do. Just sharing a little of my perspective. Hope everyone has a happy Thanksgiving! Stay safe on that ice, fellas.

This is a pic from a quick trip Saturday morning. QB and I put a real hurt’n on some crappies. VMC Tungsten Tubby Jig, fished with a Trigger-X Mustache worm. A very deadly panfish presentation. #fishselfie

Frenchman
    West Central Indiana

In the water or on the counter that’s a great fish!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Nice crappie!

I’m with you. I don’t keeps many fish…when I get lucky and actually get into them. For both the reasons you stated.

For every CPR guy there is least a dozen meat hogs. I’d like to think I’m helping the fishery. And I believe since I don’t live off the land, I only should keep 1 meal to be eaten within a week of catching them.

bee
    Maine

I also do the release thing. When I want a meal I take it. In the winter I do bring more home as I like to feed and watch the Eagles feed from the house.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Good work and a great personal philosophy and practice on the fishing. I enjoy eating a meal of fish but I also enjoy just catching fish. My favorite time of the year is the fall when the fish are not spawning and the water is getting colder….firms the summer growth on fish right up. I’ll keep a few for the table but love to catch and catch.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.