Fish finder question

• Jeff K

Quick question. A couple of years back I upgraded humminbirds from the 597 to a Helix 7 mega si gen 3. Had the dealer install the new one on the console and move the older one to the front of the boat thinking I’d use it up there. They hooked the transducer up to the terrova, but my depths are way inconsistent with what the helix reads. Anyways not a biggie since i hardly ever use it up there. What I was wondering is, could I move the 597 back to the console and use it for mapping only with chips? For that purpose, would i even need it hooked to a transducer? If a transducer is needed, could i use the same as the helix? Lots of questions I know, but have the day off work and thinking too much. Thanks! I also posted this in the hummingbird forum but didn’t much response, was hoping it’d get more traffic here.

B-man

What’s “way inconsistent?”

If it consistently reads 2-3′ shallower, it’s because the transducer is lower in the water, giving a different depth than the transom mounted transducer.

As for mapping only, no it doesn’t need to be hooked to a transducer.

Jeff K

No, it’s way off. It reads 100’s of feet off. Like it’s not working. Is there a way to link the two on the same transducer?

B-man

No, it’s way off. It reads 100’s of feet off. Like it’s not working. Is there a way to link the two on the same transducer?

You might be able to use a y-splitter, but I can’t say for certain.

I’d try a software update before giving up on it reading the wrong depths.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Reset the settings back to defaults, something like Offset is goofed up. The most you should be off is by a couple of feet if the trolling motor ducer is way higher or lower than the rear hull ducer.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.