First trip to Kab

• ssaamm
    Pequot Lakes

Just got back from my first trip to this cool place. Stayed at Ash-Ka-Nam Resort—good spot. We fished Thurs afternoon to Sunday morning. We jigged w/ minnows and caught tons of 12 in walleye and sauger in about 20-25ft. We finally caught some 21-25inchers in 17 fow in a narrow area between some islands— Blind Indian narrows. The only keeper-sized walleyes were caught on pink X Raps fishing for smallies. The smallies were tricky to find. I used topwater quite a bit because I saw a Jason Mitchell show were he drilled em on topwater. I probably should have changed tactics. The first couple of days were warm, sunny and windy. Today was overcast and misting and calm. I had the most fun today because the smallies and pike were hitting topwater on Namakan. Namakan was about 70. Kab was a bit cooler. Any words of wisdom would be appreciated . Thanks, Sam

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Good job on choosing Ash Ka Nam. applause

ssaamm
    Pequot Lakes

Hope to hear some good reports. Pretty quiet.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

This section is always quiet. Lots of people ask about Kab. but not very many by comparison actually go there. There are a handful of guys here though that really, really know the area. They are pretty helpful if you ask something specific although they seldom post a report.
    The guys who fish slow seem to do well.

slimmer157

The family is staying on namakan island starting July 14th, in the past I haven’t been able put many walleyes in the boat in voyager’s. What programs work best for you guys, and depths? Anyone that chimes in, thanks in advance

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

You are in a good area wherever you are camping on Namakan Island. You are close to several spots I like. I’m more of a Pike guy but the Walleye guys I know like to rig real slow. Some will bobber fish although not many. When the bite is on most everybody reverts back to jigging. lol

The far shoreline of Junction bay has some spots for you to check out.

I’ll let the guys who are more knowledgeable check in with there idea’s. Also go back and read threads from last year.

Bring a camera and have fun. It’s the greatest National Park in the state! wink

munchy
    NULL

Lindy rigs with egg sinkers instead of Lindy sinkers. Less hangups on the rocks and if you do get hung up a little cheaper to lose. Vary your hook color and play with bead or no bead and color until you find the combo for that moment and it changes throughout the day. I’ve had best luck with black, red, and chartreuse hooks as well as red, chartreuse and glow beads. Typically a 2-3 foot fluorocarbon leader is good but may want to go longer if you see fish off the bottom.

Start searching in the 15 to 25 foot range and adjust from there.

xplorer
    Cloquet, MN

The family is staying on namakan island starting July 14th, in the past I haven’t been able put many <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>walleyes in the boat in voyager’s. What programs work best for you guys, and depths? Anyone that chimes in, thanks in advance

Slimmer,
    I’m sitting up on Kempton island site on Rainy right now, been here since the 4th. Walleyes are moving to the reefs, water is 72 on the main lake. I’m usually on Namakan this week each year. I either lindy rig or pull spinners with crawlers and leeches. I start looking about 21’ during the day and move out from there. Early and late I’ll start at about 17’.

I’ll be back home Wednesday night and PM some spots near Namakan island that should put some fish in the well for you.

slimmer157

Thanks guys, all good info. My favorite way to fish is either spinners or rigging. I’ll let you know how the kids do as I let them catch most everything.

Jasiu
    Brooklyn Park, MN

The wife and I will be staying at Voyageur Park Lodge from Aug 4th to the 10th. Excited to read these posts. We have never been there before and super excited for our trip.

xplorer
    Cloquet, MN

Jasiu,
    I’ll be on the Far East end of Kab the 27th to 31st. It’s a family trip so fishing will be kinda limited but I’ll post how I do when we get back. I do heavily favor fishing Namakan that time of year, but know it’s along way from where your staying. I’m sure I’ll spend some time on Kab too.

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

Any fresh reports!? Headed up to Namakan in the Morning for a week! 5 more hrs of work & it’s go time!

xplorer
    Cloquet, MN

Got back yesterday from our trip up to Kab/Nam.
    Camped in Lost Bay on Kab, but what little fishing we did was all on Namakan. Found plenty of fish on the reefs in 25-28′. Half Crawlers or leeches didnt matter. My sons girlfriend even caught her first 3 walleyes ever on Sunday afternoon (all nice eaters too!) We put over a dozen in the boat in just a couple hours on one reef.
    Others were finding some fish in shallower water near weedlines. My in-laws were doing well pulling spinners/crawlers off weedbeds in 7-10′ yesterday when we were leaving.
    Main lake water temps were 75 all over, perfect swimming temps grin

I’ll be back up in two weeks for a guys trip on Namakan, will put in alot more hours fishing then.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.