First time to BWCA

• Nate Northup
    Madison, WI area

Heading up for the first time early June with a good buddy of mine and his brother-in-law and a few of his buddies. Looks like we’ll be on Little Gabro. Looking at the map, it looks like some decent areas to try fishing. Anybody ever been up that way? Thinking I’d like to try to keep it to 1, maybe 2 rods at most. Ideally something pikey and something with a bit more finesse for walleyes. Open to suggestions!

Hope yall had a good Easter.
    Nate

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Huge sunfish up there do not under look them.

topshotta

I have not fished that lake but have fished the BWCA for many years. I like to bring a medium-light rod with mono that is usually rigged with a slip bobber and a medium with 10lb braid for bass. If you do not have a lot of experience fishing from a canoe, give it a try on some local water before your trip. It can be frustrating on a good day, and impossible in high winds. I like to troll #5 flicker shads and jointed shad raps using a simple ice flasher to stay in the right depth, as that can be easier than trying to keep the canoe in position while jigging or casting. At that time of year, you may have some good walleye fishing in current areas also.

Snake ii’s

Don’t forget the bug repellent and head nets. Blackflies will be at their peak.

Tom schmitt

My experience ,without aflasher, taught me to, watch the shoreline for a change in rocks or degree of steepness. That change usually ends up underwater as well and often holds fish.
    I had the best luck with walleye trolling sandy shoreline bays at sunrise sunset.
    Try to pay attention to speed as it can make a real difference.

Sylvanboat

Mark Clark, former partner in CCO, told me appx 10 yrs ago most people traveling into Quetico are bird watchers, not fishermen.

Rick Janssen

Been up there too many times to count. I take an med/light and med/heavy break down rods for my trips. Haven’t found anything I could not catch on those two set ups. I have landed 40″ northern and some screaming lake trout. I do admit with the big northern I just let them pull the boat around a bit and if possible my partner will paddle over to the shore where I can get out to land the fish. As topshotta said landing big fish in a canoe can be a challenge and you have to be pretty careful in order to do it safely. It is a great place to go and fish. Have a good trip.

Benny

Less is definitely more up there. Canoe fishing is all about getting back to basics. I mostly target walleyes but definitely catch my fair share of bass and pike as well. 80% of my fish are probably caught on slip bobbers or an 1/8oz jig and a twister tail. Tip either with a leech and you’re in business. I also bring some crank baits and stick baits for trolling and casting.

More important than lures is boat control. As you can imagine, almost any amount of wind will make canoe fishing more challenging. Bring some rope to rig up an anchor with a rock (an old basketball net filled with small rocks works great). I also started bringing a small drift sock with about 7 years ago and it’s been game changing.

Cw

Less is definitely more up there. Canoe fishing is all about getting back to basics.

I am the opposite, livescope and a ten fin net get put in the canoe before the tent lol.

JEREMY
    BP

We went there on a high school trip for a week. Only thing I caught was a seagull on a hotdog. Fought pretty good actually.

Aboxy17

I work in Ely during the summer, If I were you I would spend the first part of your trip make the push up the river and spend a few nights on Clear. Then go back down and spend a of couple nights on Gabbro. Both are good walleye lakes, The river is awesome for smallies. Another option would be just to do the full triangle river loop. I’m 99 percent sure if you go down to Bald Eagle that’s all still barren wasteland from the fires. Bring two rods, Pike will be easy to find, walleye will really vary at that time depending on what happens with the weather this spring. Anything 6-8 windblown is a good bet. Bugs will most likely be awful at that time, you get used to it after a while.

Benny

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Benny wrote:</div>
    Less is definitely more up there. Canoe fishing is all about getting back to basics.

I am the opposite, livescope and a ten fin net get put in the canoe before the tent lol.

I know Livescope is a controversial subject, but if you need it to catch fish in the BW, you’re doing it wrong jester

Cw

I know Livescope is a controversial subject, but if you need it to catch fish in the BW, you’re doing it wrong jester

I certainly don’t need it but, its fun. I find the map create is way more beneficial.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.