First time taking my son ice fishing (sappy alert)

• Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

I’ll try to avoid as much sappiness as I can.

This weekend I finally got a chance to head out to my permy in the south metro with my wife and son. My son Maddox is 5 months old and won’t remember one second of this outing but it was very special for me.

Seeing him wanting to touch the slimy fish and giggling, being intrigued by the minnows in the minnow bucket and enjoying his sled ride from his clumsy sled puller brought huge smiles to both our faces.

Mom held him almost the whole time as open holes do scare me. He did well and hung out for maybe 1.5 hours before he got fussy and wanted to move around. Like I said, he won’t remember this day but I always will.

The fishing was good and we kept a handful of cookie cutter gills and perch.

The pictures still just melt me )

Attachments:
    1. IMG_8136.jpg

2. IMG_8157.jpg

3. IMG_8156.jpg

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Mr. Evan,

As you mature, the photo with you, your son and the gill will become more valuable to you. Frame it.

Time fly’s and life is short.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Pure awesome!

Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

As you mature, the photo with you, your son and the gill will become more valuable to you. Frame it.

As I mature…do you know who you are talking too ) You mean as I grow older in age…

I have taken countless pics with gills over the years but I like this little gill the best…the fish is cute too )

And don’t frame the perch pic? Yeah…who likes perch anyways ha.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

You mean as I grow older in age…

Just trying to be nice.

Perch? No, I love his smile in the gill picture. )

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Cherish those pics. I think you should frame all of them! You should follow this with a trip each year with photos and put a year by year album together and give it to him when he gets married. waytogo

gary d
    cordova,il

SAPPY! That’s a big NOT! It’s a big awesome picture.

404 ERROR
    MN

You got one cute tiny human, Evan. Looks like a blast, keep those memories close! By the grand canyon sized smile on his face, I hope you purchased him a lifetime angling license!

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

Won’t be long and he will be outfishing you! Then the pictures of you on his lap holding the fish he caught grin

Those pics are priceless, save every one you can toast

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

thank you for sharing Evan! Those photos, especially the one with you and the little one and your son grin is priceless. This touches my heart too as i just had a son this winter and I look forward to sharing moments like this one with him.

I wouldn’t classify myself as old yet but I recognize how short life is and how time fly’s and like BK said, I think you will treasure that picture forever.

Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

You got one cute tiny human, Evan.

Ha, thanks, he gets that from his mamma.

Won’t be long and he will be outfishing you! Then the pictures of you on his lap holding the fish he caught

Ha Tim, congrats on using your 2000th post to poke fun at me. I am honored. That was a clever comment… at least for you! I plan to remake the pic on my 60th birthday when he is 30, with me on his lap rotflol I’ll be holding a 60″ muskie and he will be holding 30″ walleye ha

Hoyt4
    NULL

Great post Evan, looks like a blast and the start of great memories and future fishing buddy.

At least you know he will mature before you will ) . Now get that lifetime fishing license for him on his first birthday )

Iowaboy1

nothing sappy about this post at all Evan!!
    I never had the chance to raise one of my own and have the wonderful opportunity you and crappie are getting now.

however,my stepdaughter blessed me with a grandson three years ago and I am doing my best to make up for lost time!!
    take as many pictures as you can while you can,they grow up so fast it isnt funny.

awesome pics!!

Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

That is the nice things with those mind numbing smart phones, its easy to take alot of pics.

Anyone have a cool frame idea or have ever purchased a cool father son themed or fishing themed frame? Any pics of the pics in frames?

I would like to frame this one for the “work” desk.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.