First Time Muskie Fishing

• Brad Dimond

I was invited to join a group headed out on September 17 on a guided muskie outing. I’ve caught one muskie in my life, a 6 inch tiger in a Bloomington lake while bass fishing. We are going with Schroeder’s Guiding Service, headed to either Minnetonka or Waconia depending on conditions.

Does anyone have experience with Schroeder’s they are willing to share. I know nothing about them. I have fished big pike on Rainy and in Canada but will use the gear the guide provides. How different is a muskie from a 36 inch plus pike?

Looking forward to the outing, then heading north for grouse opener. This is the best time of year!

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

There will be a difference depending on how big the muskie is Brad. It also depends on how big the gear was that you caught the pike on. Standard size pure strain muskie gear is big stuff and built to handle larger fish. I have been catching some large tiger muskies lately, mostly on oversized bass gear and when I hook into one it feels like a submarine.

Good luck on your outing and let us know how it goes.

Brad Dimond

I inherited a 7′ MH St. Croix with an Ambassadeur 5500, filled it with Sufix 15 pound braid and run 20 pound flouro leader on the end. Handles decent size pike pretty well, FIL caught a couple of 44 inch pike with it in Canada. I’ve caught a few around 36 inches with the rig but don’t think it will be adequate for a big muskie (if I am fortunate enough to tangle with one). The guide is providing gear for the upcoming trip so mine will stay home. Should be a fun day.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I agree, that is undersized for what you will be targeting. The setup itself might work but 15 pound braid isn’t strong enough. Most muskie guys use at least 50 pound test.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Schroeder has been around for a while, I think he mostly trolls, not sure if he has upped his casting game at all recently, good time of year to go. He stays busy, so must keep customers happy.

timschmitz
    Waconia MN

Schroeder has been around for a while, I think he mostly trolls, not sure if he has upped his casting game at all recently, good time of year to go. He stays busy, so must keep customers happy.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen Greg troll for Muskies on waconia or Minnetonka. He’s a pike trolling machine from may – June.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Can’t say I know anything about him, other than he shares quite a bit on FB, so might be worth checking that out.

Brad Dimond

Can’t say I know anything about him, other than he shares quite a bit on FB, so might be worth checking that out.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have a facebook account and have never posted. I follow Devils Lake fishing group and am friends with a niece. Doesn’t usually make my radar.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Good luck and I hope you get a big one. Muskies will fight harder than pike, or it feels that way since you are casting larger baits all day on heaver gear.

Brad Dimond

I am leaving from the lake to head to the hunting shack in St. Louis County for grouse opener. I will give an update on fishing when I get back to town.

Thanks for the info.

Brad Dimond

Ended up on the lake later than anticipated, leaving early in the morning for grouse hunting. We flogged Maxwell Bay and the North Arm of Minnetonka for 7 hours without even a follow. It was a blast! I am tired from flinging topwaters and bucktails that are bigger than many of the fish I usuually catch but really enjoyed the experience. I learned a lot today and will be back for another attempt in the future.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

Ended up on the lake later than anticipated, leaving early in the morning for grouse hunting. We flogged Maxwell Bay and the North Arm of Minnetonka for 7 hours without even a follow. It was a blast! I am tired from flinging topwaters and bucktails that are bigger than many of the fish I usuually catch but really enjoyed the experience. I learned a lot today and will be back for another attempt in the future.

Welcome to Muskie fishing Brad. Wait until you see some follows and catch them. It’s addicting.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.