First Time Golfing ⛳️

• gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

but there are some basics that everyone should know.

The most important aspect of golf I learned when I played regularly was to hone your short game. You can save a lot of strokes if you master the putting green. A 300 yard drive counts the same as a 3 foot putt. My coach constantly said that to us in HS. He didn’t really care how far we could drive the ball. We spent hours on the putting green and he’d require us to make 10 putts in a row from various lengths inside 10 feet before we could leave practice.

CaptainMusky

Why did they name Golf, Golf?

Because all the other 4 letter swear words were already used.

CaptainMusky

The most important aspect of golf I learned when I played regularly was to hone your short game. You can save a lot of strokes if you master the putting green.

100%. We used to always say Drive for show, putt for dough. You spend so much more time around the green than driving. When I first started I would just tee off with a 7 iron. I could hit that club perfectly straight, or right where I wanted all the time. Always a consistent distance. So what that it took me 2 7 iron shots to reach a par 4. At least I was hitting from the fairway.

Umy
    South Metro

Putting is KEY.
    And can be practiced just about anywhere. You can go to a golf course’s driving range and just use the practice green too for free

Sharon
    SE Metro

Thanks for the tips everyone, and thanks Umy! That looks like a nice course!
    I know putting is an important part of it but I can only putt once I actually get to the green! Working on getting there is just as important for me at this point. Going to be a bit before I can drive a ball 100+ yards regularly. wink

Sharon
    SE Metro

When I first started I would just tee off with a 7 iron. I could hit that club perfectly straight, or right where I wanted all the time. Always a consistent distance. So what that it took me 2 7 iron shots to reach a par 4. At least I was hitting from the fairway.

It’s amazing – a few days ago I would have no idea what most of that meant! I like learning! mrgreen

CaptainMusky

It’s amazing – a few days ago I would have no idea what most of that meant! I like learning!

It really is a great sport. One you can play your entire life! Enjoy the beautiful lush fairways and greens however much little time you may spend there. LOL I havent played in years. I got to the point regardless of how much I golfed I wasnt getting any better and the green fees were ridiculous with a growing family. I will pick it up again I am sure, but it will be a scatter fest with balls going everywhere.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I’m an Army golfer –
    right, left, right, left, right, left

guthook1
    Lake Nebagamon Wisconsin

Ahhhhh….Pasture Pool I Play with a bunch of old f—s, Scramble $3.00 entry.
    I do plan on a bit of BOAT time tomorrow. Enjoy yourself doing anything that gets you off your butt.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

It really is a great sport. One you can play your entire life!

The nice thing about golf is that you don’t have to be in even remotely decent shape or youthful to play it…or be good at it. Certainly there’s an element of coordination and balance to it, but we’re not talking olympic style athletes here. My old man plays several times every week and he has a single digit handicap for 9 holes. He turns 71 later this month.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Some wonderful scenery too ! One of my Maui favorites !

Attachments:
    1. Emerald-Wailea-scaled.jpg

Sharon
    SE Metro

Some wonderful scenery too ! One of my Maui favorites !

**JAW DROP** shock shock

I suddenly have an urge to visit Maui. I’ve never said that before.

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

I used to golf alot. Like 50+ times a year. Had a membership and got my money’s worth. Well, I slowly golfed less. Not because I didn’t enjoying it, but life, kids, and work made it tougher to get out. Had to pick and choose my hobbies a bit. I now golf a couple times a year and still love it. Golf is great because you can play solo or with friends. And you can make the sport as serious as you like. I’ve played with friends that can’t break 100 in 9 holes, to guys that will be under par in 18. You get better the more often you go, but if that doesn’t matter to you then you can still have a blast just getting out.
    Wear what you want! There’s “proper” attire, but only some courses have requirements. Just make sure you relax and have fun. waytogo

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Wear what you want! There’s “proper” attire,

Mom and Dad bought house “near” a golf course. Gave Dad hours of enjoyment. At times, he was laughing so hard it was contagious!

What he was laughing at was many of the folks walking or golf carting by were mostly dairy farmers their whole life. They wore blue jeans except Sunday mornings for church. Their legs never saw the sight of the sun.

Now put them in a pair of golf shorts and their legs looked like they were glowing! Now don’t get me wrong, these guys worked hard all of their life. Sold the farm and moved to the golf course in town. Good for them.

But to this day when I see white legs in shorts and an alligator shirts, I have to giggle a little. I am my dad’s son.

Erik Swenson

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Pailofperch wrote:</div>
    Wear what you want! There’s “proper” attire,

Mom and Dad bought house “near” a golf course. Gave Dad hours of enjoyment. At times, he was laughing so hard it was contagious!

What he was laughing at was many of the folks walking or golf carting by were mostly dairy farmers their whole life. They wore blue jeans except Sunday mornings for church. Their legs never saw the sight of the sun.

Now put them in a pair of golf shorts and their legs looked like they were glowing! Now don’t get me wrong, these guys worked hard all of their life. Sold the farm and moved to the golf course in town. Good for them.

But to this day when I see white legs in shorts and an alligator shirts, I have to giggle a little. I am my dad’s son.

“Are them your legs or are you riding a chicken?!” jester

Sharon
    SE Metro

Well my second time golfing was a success this weekend! We went to the same course so I knew more about what to expect and I think my overall form and technique was better this time. 😁
    Going through the checklist in my head before each swing didn’t take quite as long, and I even got a par again on hole #5 but that is a pretty simple hole. 🎉😃⛳️🏌‍♀️
    Might be time to buy myself a set of clubs!

Attachments:
    1. 20220724_160353-scaled.jpg

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Anyone on IDO ever get a hole in one? whistling

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I…oh never mind. coffee

Wallyhntr1
    Tonka

Yes. Only bad thing was returning to the clubhouse to find darn near a $500 bar tab… thankfully the bartender cut it off at that point doah

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I have witnessed several but none myself. That bar tab can get rather large after one !!! I got in on one of the free drinks after one of them.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I was close, only 2 strokes off. crazy rotflol

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Got my second round of the year in yesterday, and my usual driver slice was just a nice little cut. Must be due to clean living! rotflol jester

buck-slayer

I have 2. 185yds at Hammond CC and 98yds at Troy Borne.

MX1825

I’ve had several.
    All on the mini golf course. whistling

Sharon
    SE Metro

I have witnessed several but none myself. That bar tab can get rather large after one !!! I got in on one of the free drinks after one of them.

Wait, so if I get a hole in one I have to buy the whole bar a round of drinks?? 💸💸💸

Just making sure I know the standard etiquette here in preparation. wink

CaptainMusky

Wait, so if I get a hole in one I have to buy the whole bar a round of drinks?? 💸💸💸

Just making sure I know the standard etiquette here in preparation.

That’s what they say. Just write down a 2 and call it good. Sharon are you going to be the next big name golfer to sign with LIV?

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Just making sure I know the standard etiquette here in preparation. wink

That is the long tradition. I know several other who only go as far as paying for a few rounds for their own golf group. Thats what I’d probably do. Not that I ever have to worry about it with my poor golf game jester

Wallyhntr1
    Tonka

Good luck with that…. The whole golf course knew before I was done on the next hole.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 99 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.