First Time Food Plotter

• realtreeap10
    Over there

Well I’ve finally received permission from the land owner to put a food plot in on his property. In total it’s 20 acres of heavy deer traffic but mainly passing through as they go to a larger farm field 1/2 mile away. Me and my buddy that hunt it went out 2 weeks ago and sprayed out roughly 1,000 SF of land with roundup to kill off the grass and what not. Picture shows most of the grass is dying but some things are still growing.

With this being my first time food plot project I’m not sure if I’m late to the party for the year but want to know what I should do for next steps? Spray again then seed? or just start ripping up the soil. Plan on using a drag harrow as that’s about all I have access to. Soil is very sandy, on top of a hill good sunlight. Look forward to all the help.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_2156.jpg

1. IMG_2156.pdf
    TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Good work so far, you’ve got a great start.

A couple of thoughts for the first-timer. I’m in the food plot seed and equipment business, my company is Midwest Monster Whitetail Products. What I hear in talking to hundreds of food plotters every year is that the #1 issue in an area with heavy deer traffic is that the deer will overbrowse small plots right to the dirt.

So whatever you can do to make the plot bigger, go for it! You won’t regret it, I promise you. I’ve never had a food plotter tell me they wish they had smaller plots. If you can expand the plot more into the green areas, go as far as you can by doing more roundup work.

You are very wise to start with weed control first. This will pay you back big time in terms of avoiding problems down the road.

Next, I’d give the drag harrow a test drive and see if it will work to break the vegetation and soil. In some places this works fine, in others, it’s not enough to really work up the virgin ground.

If the drag doesn’t work, I’d say look at renting a heavy-duty tiller for a day or getting a Groundhog type ATV disc. Either way, go slow and understand you don’t have to till deep, just break up the top 1-2 inches of soil.

Next, wait about 1-2 weeks and spray again to kill whatever sprouts after you turn the soil. This second spraying is a big help as you will kill off a lot of weeds that sprouted from dormant seed laying in the soil.

Now, what to plant? Lots of possibilities here, but IMO you’re going to want to do a blend that maximizes the volume of food you’ll get out of the plot. You will also need to focus on crops that can be summer planted as you will need the rest of spring to do your prep work.

A couple of ideas:

1. A good perennial clover blend like our Mega Clover Plus or AlfalfaMAX. In an area of high browsing pressure, you will plant this blend with a nurse crop of oats or rye (grain) to provide extra food and protect the young clover.

2. An all season annual blend like Real World Wildlife Products “Deadly Dozen” or Harvest Salad. The focus of these blends is maximum tonnage per acre and they are mid-summer planted blends, so they give you the advantage of time for plot prep.

There are other possibilities, but the above 2 are simple, very reliable blends that are easy for the first time plotter to plant and maintain.

Hope this helps. PM if you’d like more info or check us out online at midwestmonster.us

Grouse

realtreeap10
    Over there

Grouse,

Thank you for the info and tips on the plot. I’ve been away from the computer for a week, well needed. During that time I rented a ATV disc and got the entire sprayed area done and expanded it further to allow for a larger plot. I think the hard thing now is the lack of rain is making me wonder if the plot will grow well enough. I’ve got no access to water on the land so I might have to rig something up with a barrel and soaker hose. I’ll be doing a little reading on the products you listed and might be putting in an order soon.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_2160.jpg

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Good work on breaking that plot up. Looks really good. You’ll be glad that you enlarged it as much as possible.

Yes it’s a little dry. Get your fertilizer and seed ready so you can plant at the next rain. Make sure you have a shoulder bag spreader as they are the only reliable way to spread seed on a small plot.

Watering is of questionable benefit if you don’t have a well. You just need so much water to make a difference. Very few food plotters irrigate.

Good work.

Jay

castle-rock-clown

Looks great, but I’m a first timer too, so not in a position to give real world advice. Grouse is the expert here

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.