First Smallie and Pike trip to Mille Lac next weekend (Sept 2nd)

• yancimator

Well, starting to get the boat and the wife ready for the 10 hour drive North to check out Mille Lacs. It’ll be nice leaving the 100+ degree weather down here in STL. Staying in a VRBO in Isle Bay. Don’t know the lake, so probably won’t run more than 5 miles from there. Got some good tips when I posted something a few months ago. Just checking in to see if anyone’s gotten their boat and lines wet lately in that area on the lake?? Of course, I know 95% of you are walleye fisherman, but I’m only chasing smallies and pike. Yep, I’m one of those oddballs. Got addicted 50 years ago when my dad would drag me up to Big Winnie every fall. Then, I discovered the boundary waters. )

For the smallie guys – any tips you’d offer on trying to figure out where to start and how to start the approach? I have decent electronics and mapping so I’m imagining I’ll focus on points and look for rocks I can find. Probably start with some spinnerbaits and the like, but I’m sure I’ll quickly move to ned rigs, drop shots, etc if they’re not aggressively hitting the idiot baits. Of course, my wife can’t do any of that, so she’ll keep slinging!

For the pike guys, is there decent cabbage in Isle Bay? I’ll have spinnerbaits, spoons, and in-line spinners on my rods for those. All my favorites. My typical plan this time of year is to look for good cabbage stands in 8-15 foot of water and to fish just above those beds. Hoping they’re right outside my door there!!! But, if not, I’d love to know anywhere else you feel I might find good weeds and pike nearby. I figure I’ll be doing 95% of the lake a favor by chasing those instead of walleye. ) I don’t eat any of em anyways, so I always chase the ones that hit harder, fight harder, and make a fuss when ya hook em!

Thanks for any and all info. We’re really excited to get back up to Minnesota. And, I’ve always wanted to check out this lake!!! Hope we luck into great weather and active fishing!
    Yancey

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

This guy does a report on walleye, muskie, and smallmouth regularly.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.