First Ice Walleye

• Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

Well I have been patient in getting on the ice this season as the ice has progressed slowly since the small lakes iced over last weekend. These warm temperatures and light snow cover have left a dozen or so lakes holding 2″- 2.5″ of soft ice. Last night’s temperatures dipped down and hardened a few up, but the ones with an inch or two of snow on top didn’t get the freeze they needed. We passed up on a few lakes to start the morning, even bough one of them had 3 fishermen on the ice, they just weren’t ready for my standards yet. The third lake we hit had just over 3 solid inches of clear back ice with only a dusting of snow on top. After chiseling our way to the spot we wanted to fish, we set up holes and began fishing. Since we had family visiting and the travel between disappointing lakes stole much of our time, we got to drop line for an hour. Pulled up one nice walleye and one pike before trecking back to the truck and it felt good to both be safe and catch fish! With family still in town I don’t know if I will be getting out tomorrow, but tonight’s temperatures should increase safe options as we pull into the weekend. Have fun out there, I know several people are on ice now, but I want to encourage everyone to approach your ice with caution and don’t be afraid to go back home and wait for a safer day!

Attachments:
    1. image35.jpeg

Justin Phillips
    Bloomer, WI

Nice eye!! Jealous, still got a while until safe ice here in western Wisconsin most likely.

glenn-d
    N C Illinois

Hopefully this will be the year we make it up to your place Ben for some early ice fishing…..been on our bucket list for a few years now !!!

Kent thompson
    Foreston mn

Well done Ben! I know you had mentioned you picked up the new otter when you were at l and m but thought you passed on the lx-5i? Guess not, lol just ordered mine today what’s your thoughts? Thanks …..

Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

I’ll be looking forward to it Glen.
    I did pass up on it when I was at L&M Kent, but I believe when I left the store that time I whispered “not this time.” I like it. The LX5i is like the LX5 in simplicity, but even easier to see the screen and I feel it is an even clearer picture, especially from side angles. No more moving the flasher so you can adjust your back to the changing wind direction. I will still be using the LX6 as my primary, but I let my cousin use it today and with the 5i I didn’t get lender’s remorse like I normally do when letting someone use my baby.

IceAsylum
    Wisconsin Dells WI

Can always count on you Ben to to walk on water first every year. Hope you have a safe and great year.

Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

Well I definitely wasn’t the first on ice this year! I don’t know anything for sure, but I’m guessing James and someone else got on some ice somewhere earlier this week that may or may not be airing on TV this Sunday. If tomorrow’s episode is on ice, I can’t wait to see it!

shamus
    Inactive

The LX5i is like the LX5 in simplicity, but even easier to see the screen and I feel it is an even clearer picture, especially from side angles. No more moving the flasher so you can adjust your back to the changing wind direction.

Awesome. I really need to consider upgrading.

Glad you got out, had a fun and safe time!

Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

@Shamus what are you upgrading from?

shamus
    Inactive

I have a LX-5. Not a big upgrade, but I like the look of the new dial and I’m glad to hear it does make it easier to read.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.