First Ice Next Week!

• Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

Unless the forecast takes a hard turn towards warmer temperatures, there will be ice fishing opportunities in the Ely area next week. I will be checking lakes through the weekend to provide better updates, but before I start posting pictures of my LX 6 sitting on solid ice I would like to stress the matter of safety. I am not writing this to tell you that using a chisel to check the ice before you step, having safety picks around your neck, wearing floating ice suits, dragging a 100 foot rope, fishing with a buddy, or wearing a life vest is all you need to be safe. These tools will help immensely in preventing one from falling through the ice, or in getting out alive if one does go through. I am writing as a reminder to listen to that voice in your head when it says, “maybe I should go back to shore” or “it may not be quite ready yet.” There’s always tomorrow if you don’t die today! So this weekend, next week, and throughout the season, please play it safe. Never take someone’s word that a lake is safe for walking/snowmobiling/driving without checking it for yourself. If anyone wants to comment with their favorite safety methods please do. The more we talk about ice safety with those we encounter, the less likely we will be to hear about them falling through.

likes2fish

I agree with you 100% that safety is the #1 thing to look out for on this early ice. In addition to many of the safety tips you have listed above one thing I have always done the first couple of trips out is to chisel out small holes on my way out, in addiction to using the chisel before every step, and stop and measure the ice. Sometimes it appears the ice is slightly thicker then it is and this way I know exactly how much ice I am on at all times. Just because it may hold you up doesn’t mean it is safe, nor smart, to keep walking on. With that being said I am hoping to be up on the ice in your area on the 28th or so, so I am looking forward to hearing ice updates over the next several days.

dbright
    Cambridge

I had a buddy text me yesterday saying he was thinking this weekend or early next week. The forecast for the area we fish I am thinking it will be a possibility next weekend.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

I’m with you Ben. Like you I fish some backwoods lakes off the beaten path (just north of you) and if I were to get in trouble up there. I probably wouldn’t be found until next summer.

Which brings up a good point. Letting someone know your plan and timeline would be a good idea as well.

Justin Phillips
    Bloomer, WI

My biggie regarding safety is never be over confident. Learned this the hard way three years ago when I had been on good solid 5 inches all day. Went back out in the afternoon with the spud bar and ice picks back in the truck, found a weak spot in the ice and got very lucky I am still here today. Between years of ice fishing and being on good ice that whole morning I was too confident and it nearly bit me. I now check the ice with a spud bar every step and always have my ice picks around my neck when out in the early season.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Or ya’ll could just wait a couple weeks for better ice. When I hear of people pushing this envelope just to catch a couple damn fish I shake my head. If you drown, no pity from me either….just another idiot that took chances. Maybe stop and think of all the people who you are going to forever impact if you die under thin ice. Got parents probably. How about a wife? Or a sig other? Kids? How about grand kids? Friends? Now consider the danger you are putting those who will be called upon to drag your wet ass out of an ice covered lake. Don’t say this doesn’t happen because we read about people going thru on early ice every year and I’ll be the old “it won’t or can’t happen to me” idea soared right between the ears on most of those victims.

Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

That’s exactly why sharing ice safety and reminder of the dangers is so important Tom! Thank you for adding your feelings! A vast majority of ice fatality is easily prevented by taking safety seriously, understanding how to judge ice safety, proper use of safety equipment, and making the decision to stay on shore until it is safe! In many situations the wait time could mean one or two cold nights or even a few more weeks like you said, depending on the lake. Lakes make safe ice at different rates. Here in Ely there will be a dozen lakes with ice that are safe to fish at the same time that 2 dozen lakes will have ice that is unsafe, all while a few dozen more lakes don’t have ice at all. Safe ice is NOT conducive from lake to lake, in the same way that driving in the winter is more dangerous on some roads than it is on others. Taking safety precautions on all lakes (and roads) at all times is just a smart thing to do. Thanks again Tom for your comment.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Good early ice safety reminder guys.

Here’s a quick reminder for those in boats yet.

I’ve darn near slipped off my boat getting in/out while launching three times in last two weeks.

I usually try to go as fast as possible… Now is the time to slow down and be careful.

Also be sure to let your trailer drain as you pull out to keep the next guy from sliding into the drink on a frozen ramp.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.