First Ham Radio Selection Help

• jwellsy

I’m studying the ARRL Technician exam book and plan on taking the test in July.

I’d like some input on on what radio to get. I’m thinking of starting with a Yaesu mobile unit. I can set that up in the house or the truck.

Are the NOAA weather channels available on most dual band radios or do you have to get an aviation or marine model to get those?

I’d prefer to stay under $300, but realize stretching to $500-$600 may be the best value point.

I don’t like buying used electronics.

Ike Sell

Hey, Mike here, K0COM, been a ham for 20 plus years and a fisherman for many more. Look at at radio like you would a fishing rod and reel. While you can find some to cover a wide range of applications, once one gets some experience, one narrows down the tool to fit the job most effectively and efficiently. I’d split the NOAA radio away from a ham radio. For the radio determine what frequency bands and modes you want to get on. Most Tech class hams focus on vhf/uhf bands and the new digital voice modes are hot. The rub is that two types (d-star and dmr) are in use. I’d check in with a local radio club to see what the local groups are using. Or if you have others you plan on communicating with, you will want to go with the same digital mode… they are not compatible with each other. There are several good on-line suppliers for amateur equipment. HRO, DX Eng., R&L, and Giga Parts. One can read reviews on eham.com. Good luck with the test.

Attachments:
    1. FCEEE63B-1725-44C1-BCF2-011E7317807C.jpeg

HookLine&Sinker

There are a lot of variables that will determine what the “best” mobile unit will be for you. Too many to easily hash through in text. Most of the ham radio clubs have in-person meetings that would give you a chance to talk with knowledgeable people who could guide you in the right direction.

I know you mentioned not liking used electronics, but buying a used radio from someone you get to know locally in a club would carry almost no risk. Some areas have “swap nets” on the air once a week where you can buy, sell and trade gear. It’s another good place to get equipment, but you of course need a radio to listen in to one of them in the first place…

As long as the specs indicate 162 mhz is within the receive range of the radio, it will get NOAA weather.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Nothing I can add to the very sound advice already offered. I wouldn’t shy away from a used radio, especially if it was from a local Ham. My first three rigs were used and all worked well for me.

Hello Mike! We last worked on 80 CW in 2007. Nice to see you again.

73 Steve K0SR

saugeye-steve

Check out the Yaesu FT8900-R.
    I have one in my shack and its got a lot of options for the money.
    Keep in mind that you will need a proper separate power supply with the
    correct maximum amp draw for the unit you purchase.(if using as base radio)

Good luck getting your ham license-keep us posted.

jwellsy

I’ve seen that FT-8900 recommended several places. But, so far I haven’t found anyone that actually sells it. I’m wondering if it’s discontinued.

The test shouldn’t be a problem. I have an extensive background in utility scale 3 phase power. The ham material is a good review for me. I’m used to thinking in terms of real/apparent power and vars while the ham world talks about inductors and henries. It’s all counter EMF induced impedance/resistance that’s proportional to the number of winding coils on the load side, just on different scales.

I’m reading each chapter slowly for understanding, then highlighting the text that answers the exam bank questions and finally taking notes on lined paper of exam bank items that aren’t immediately top of mind when I read the questions. When I get through taking all the chapter notes, I’ll consolidate them down to one page. The last few weeks in June will be taking practice exams and memorizing that one page of consolidated notes. Come test time it should be a cake walk.

Jeremy
    Richland County, WI

Inductors and henries are in the Tech test?

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

I had to stop and think…I passed the Extra class exam in June 1971. That’s a long time ago. No questions at all about transistors or any solid state devices. I did have to draw a schematic of a Colpitts oscillator using a Triode.

And no, I didn’t personally know Marconi grin

SR

saugeye-steve

And no, I didn’t personally know Marconi

Hah thats funny.

The technician test includes real basic questions on frequency allocations,station grounding and radio etiquette.Very basic electrical questions but very basic.

Go to the ARRL.website and use the practice quizzes.
    I see the FT8900R on Ebay today for $100.00 less than i paid.

jwellsy

On fleabay I only see one used Yaesu FT8900R. There’s several HYS brand knockoffs. I’ve been advised to stay away from the Chinese made radios.

jwellsy

Update:

I read the entire spiral bound book, highlighted the text where every test bank question answer came from and passed 2 practice tests no problem. However, I decided not to sit the actual test.

I didn’t like the idea of an annual renewal for the sole purpose of the government tracking your contact info. That’s another list I really don’t need on.

I don’t even have a cell phone. Don’t have one and don’t want one. That’s another means of tracking and controlling you. Besides, I hate talking on the phone and realized I’d probably not enjoy talking on ham either.

I will get ham equipment strictly for listening. I think that will be an essential skill and capability in a SHTF scenario.

luckydave
    Cottage Grove, MN

Renewal is every ten years! Sorry to hear you lost interest as the hobby has so many different aspects to it.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Update:

I read the entire spiral bound book, highlighted the text where every test bank question answer came from and passed 2 practice tests no problem. However, I decided not to sit the actual test.
    ??

I don’t even have a cell phone. Don’t have one and don’t want one. That’s another means of tracking and controlling you. Besides, I hate talking on the phone and realized I’d probably not enjoy talking on ham either.
    Then why did you post this on a social forum?

I will get ham equipment strictly for listening. I think that will be an essential skill and capability in a SHTF scenario.

Is this the pot that is being stirred? I do not understand this post.

I had a 60 foot Roam-25g tower here for years and was into side band but I never progressed to the Ham side. I always had it in mind, just never happened. I have a couple of HAM-2’s and an SBE SSB base for sale iff’in any one wants.

jwellsy

I went back and checked the book on renewal. I did misremember what is says. The license is for 10 years. It’s the initial certification form that’s only good for 365 days. They also say that if your mail is returned as undeliverable they can revoke the license.

If you wanted to protect your privacy, you would have to take the test every year.

Another issue for me is that I’ve been around ionizing radiation and strong high frequency EMF’s (routinely up to 1000MW @ 345KV) most of my life. I think it’s now important for me to choose/limit my EMF exposure. Yeah, I know the canned non-ionizing radiation meme. That’s the typical training for military aged people. However, it conveniently ignores the problematic basic chemistry concept of valence. An ion (ionization) is the complete removal (or addition) of an electron. However, molecular forces of attraction are also influenced by the valence state of the attached electrons. You may remember hearing about covalent molecules (like dissolves like, and all that). An electron doesn’t have to be knocked off an atom (ionized) to cause problems. Knocking/exciting an atoms’ electron into a higher valence energy state will change how it interacts in its environment. Not to mention that an excited electron in an atom can emit a photon as it falls back down to a lower energy state or even destabilize the whole atom and cause it to dissinigrate and eject pieces even bigger than an electron. But, I digress. And yes, I am paranoid about the hushed rollout of 5G.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.