Figure 8 Questions

• Alex Weismann

Hello!

Just a few questions I have about figure 8ing for Muskie:

1. How much of my rod should be in the water when doing it? I assume that this varies depending on what part of 8 you’re in.

2. How much line should be out when starting the 8?

3. Is it okay to figure 8 close to the trolling motor or will that scare fish?

That’s pretty much all at the moment. Any other tips would be greatly appreciated!

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

The amount of rod in the water depends on the rod length and how tall you are. The most important factor is that when you retrieve in, you start a figure 8 in one motion so that the lure keeps moving. Make the figure 8 as wide as you can so a big fish can turn and follow.

BrianF

When the fish is approaching the boat, plunge the rod deeper into the water to set her up for your boatside moves. This often makes fish more comfortable and minimizes the chance she’ll see you and your body/arm movement. Some of the biggest Muskies I’ve caught – and lost – ate when my rod was buried nearly to the reel. That’s gotta be 7’ down considering a 9 1/2’ rod.

What’s tempting for everyone is to keep the fish up near the surface where you can see the action, though burying the rod down in the water is almost always preferable – except in the corners where you want to go high and hang the bait slowly in the turn, giving the fish an opportunity to eat.

No eat on the first high turn? Give her more speed and depth in the straightaway until the next turn. Make your turns big, smooth, and outward away from the boat, again, to minimize the odds she’ll see you.

When you’ve reach the top of this game, you’ll even be aware of boat shadows and will try to keep the fish from going in/out of them as you work her at boatside. Many fish spook from encountering sudden shadows.

If you’re lucky and she eats, don’t set upwards! Keep the rod down in the water, set towards her tail, and fight her this way. Your odds of landing her go way up.

By the way, all this…?? Much easier said than done in the heat of the moment. Trust me on that…too many blown fish to count over the years, but when you keep your cool and ‘execute’, well, good things tend to happen more often.

Good luck!

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

By the way, all this…?? Much easier said than done in the heat of the moment. Trust me on that…too many blown fish to count over the years, but when you keep your cool and ‘execute’, well, good things tend to happen more often.

Totally. It will take a lot of practice and experience to execute this with a 4 foot fish present.

catmando
    wis

For me, I am right-handed, I found on a hot fish when it makes the turn from my left, I bring the bait right over its nose, bait higher than the fish, musky rises up and takes the bait. Don’t set the hook skyward, sideways is the ticket towards the fish. DK

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

So much great info already added I don’t have much more to add. I have had a musky hit my trolling motor. When doing the 8 I try to stay away from it so it doesn’t distract her.

CaptainMusky

So much great info already added I don’t have much more to add. I have had a musky hit my trolling motor. When doing the 8 I try to stay away from it so it doesn’t distract her.

I had a big girl attack the prop of my trolling motor on Sugar many years ago. The whole shaft shook.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.