Field hunting geese

• Tyler Schaefer
    Southern Minnesota

How many decoys do u put out when hunting geese in a harvested corn field? Any opinions. Any certain way to set them up?

Ben Brettingen
    Mississippi

That’s a very loaded question. Depends. Early season I’ll put up around around 6 dozen, and more and more as the season progresses. Right around 6 dozen will put you in contention through the first week or two in September. However, if you are on the “spot on the spot” you could get away with far fewer decoys (3 dozen). As we reach the end of September, my spread will go to about 8 dozen and when October rolls around it’s up to about 10-12 dozen. November, I throw about everything I can muster 15 dozen, as some of the feeds have 10k+ birds in them. It makes 15 dozen seem like child’s play.

Decoy placement is again a very loaded question. Early season I’ll start by making “family” groups, of 4-6 decoys and place these family groups in a U formation with the middle of the U being about 30 yards wide.

I wrote an article about early goose hunting for the August magazine, it would be worth a read.

http://www.in-depthoutdoors.com/magazine/august-magazine-prep/early-season-honkers/

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Hey Tyler

We have an article in this month’s issue of the IDO magazine called Early Season Honkers that addresses this very question. Check it out. If you have any additional questions I’m sure Ben Brettingen @benbrettingen and others will be happy to help you out.

retriever in ground blind goose hunting

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Ben beat me to the punch by 3 minutes…

Tyler Schaefer
    Southern Minnesota

Im have only 4 goose decoys i got for christmas. And i am hopefully buying more by sept 6(early goose opener).

Tyler Schaefer
    Southern Minnesota

Good article!!!!! Thanks for all the tips!

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

I wouldn’t be discouraged if you don’t own or have access to 15 dozen dekes. Most important is being on the spot (sounds like a fishing post). Scouting is key most anytime of the season.

If you have access to where they are feeding, a dozen decoys will do ya. Especially early season where they just pile right in.

Flags that provide movement are another way to increase your odds without a ton of cost. Kites, windsock decoys, and silhouettes can all be used in some fashion together to maximize numbers without killing your wallet. (silhouettes aren’t cheap I guess).

Nick Dennison
    Rochester MN

I agree with all above as an avid goose hunter and someone who use to help a guide service in Rochester (lots of birds) I would say the biggest thing is scouting I have shot geese (and had them dump in) on a dozen dekes but as mentioned the later in the season as ben said 15 dozen dekes seems like nothing when you have 5k birds in a field half a mile away. just get what you can for decoys do your homework and scout scout scout then go out and get after em. that’s what makes waterfowling fun you can read all you want about decoy placement, calls and calling, blind/pit setups and the birds will take everything you read and applied to your day and laugh at you. just stay determined, learn from your mistakes and let the birds tell/show you what to do. good luck and I hope you stack em up!!!!

erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

good article guys! Here is one for ya…planning to update my layout this weekend and they have the camo patterns along with the plain old brown as well for the layout blind color. Anyone with experience tried this I assume after mudding it and blending in the surroundings of your field (corn, alfalfa, wheat ect) the color shouldn’t really matter? I found one BIG deal on the plain brown pattern but hesitant to go after this deal and buy a couple.

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

Tyler…You sound like (and based on your picture…) a young man that is just starting out. If you are ever up in the Inver Grove Heights area let me know via a private message. I have a couple flag decoys you can have. I could leave them outside my garage for you to pick up. Good luck…RR

Ben Brettingen
    Mississippi

I’d have no problems with going straight field Kahki for blinds, helps save a few bucks! You’re right, after you stubble it, can’t really tell a difference.

I have a number of blinds for different situations. For example, I use a Field Kahki Avery Power Hunter for hunting bean fields, and other areas with low stubble. The field kahki blends in better with bean fields, than say KW-1 which is a lighter pattern.

I also have the Avery Finisher which is a higher profile blind with a little more elbow room. I have this in the KW-1 pattern, which blends in great with corn and wheat. This way my base pattern blends in with the field and I don’t always have to stubble it to the 9s.

If you live near the Twin Cities, heading up to Game Fair this weekend would be a good idea, some smoking awesome deals if you don’t find what you want. I’ll be working up in the Kruger Farms Tent on Sunday.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Tyler,

I’ve had field sets where more than 6 decoys scared the birds off. Don’t ask me why. Maybe a localize group that liked that field. I don’t know. How I found out, day before birds would look but not commit. Next day, while putting out decoys, here they come. I laid out in a mowed alfalfa field with 6 decoys, one laying on top of me. Whacked my 5 early season honkers and left. Definitely one of my most memorable hunts.

Good luck this fall, I hope you whack a bunch!

Ben Brettingen
    Mississippi

Tyler,

I’ve had field sets where more than 6 decoys scared the birds off. Don’t ask me why. Maybe a localize group that liked that field. I don’t know. How I found out, day before birds would look but not commit. Next day, while putting out decoys, here they come. I laid out in a mowed alfalfa field with 6 decoys, one laying on top of me. Whacked my 5 early season honkers and left. Definitely one of my most memorable hunts.
    Good luck this fall, I hope you whack a bunch!

Those kind of hunts bring back some fond memories from early season when I was in college up in ND!

We’d load a truck bed with a dozen full bodies, a couple blinds, and sit on a smaller feed. Man alive the singles, pairs and small flocks wanted us in the worst way that day.

Ben Brettingen
    Mississippi

Tyler,

In my original post I kind of came across, like the only way to shoot geese is to have unlimited decoys at your disposal. Sorry about that!

It’s really not the case, as cougareye stated.

Don’t get discouraged if you don’t have a ton of decoys.

Shells are an inexpensive way to build your spread. With the decoy market the way it is now, a lot of people are on the classifieds sections and craigslist trying to sell their spreads.

I’ve got a good bead on some good deals on used decoys. Let me know if I can help line anything up!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.