Fenwick HMX Rods any good?

• Greenhorn
    Bismarck, ND

Scheels has these for 50% off right now. Are they any good? I’d primarily use for vertical jigging/pitching for walleyes.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

It will be hard to find a better rod for $50.

orve4

I have both the HMX and HMG. For 50 dollars they are a steal. I bought one last year cause my son like to steal mine when dragging jigs in the spring and the fall. For this price point they are great. I use it often and have no complaints.

Stanley

For $50 yes they are good. Regular price I would spend the extra $20 and get the HMG. My son has a HMX and we have had to use the warranty twice on it. One for a reel seat coming loose and the other the tip broke about 6in down. Both time’s fenwick warranty has been great.

TillrLife
    Cold Spring, MN

It likely does not matter. But the HMX is discontinued. I’m surprised they aren’t combing them with the PFlueger President, which got an update for ’24.

The new Line up is World Class, Elite, HMG and Eagle.

I like the HMX, but they are a split grip, which is not high on my list for a jigging rod. But it’s tough to beat for $50.

ssaamm
    Pequot Lakes

They are great esp for that price

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

Do you really think you could tell the difference?

Greenhorn
    Bismarck, ND

Thanks all. Ended up getting a 6’6” med light and a Daiwa Fuego (only $55 at scheels right now).

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Take this for what it’s worth. I used to be a die-hard Fenwick fan. In fact I still have some of the original Fenwick rods. But in the last 10 years I’ve purchased six different Fenwick rods. They all were brittle and snapped within the first year for sure or less. I have numerous St Croix and G Loomis rods. They seem to be flexible and I have yet to break one even with the abuse my clients put them through at times. I’m not sure what changed with Fenwick but they are not what they used to be. I personally will not waste another dollar on a Fenwick rod.

Charlie W
    TRF / Pool 3 / Grand Rapids, MN / SJU

Thanks all. Ended up getting a 6’6” med light and a Daiwa Fuego (only $55 at scheels right now).

Was the fuego $55 also?

isu22andy

Mainly 2 piece rods aren’t they? All I saw at my local Scheels . The HMGs were on sale for 99 as well .

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Mainly 2 piece rods aren’t they? All I saw at my local Scheels . The HMGs were on sale for 99 as well .

No they have 1 piece as well. I almost bought 2 for the kid for Christmas but I ended up Removing them from the cart. I did buy 2 fuegos tho.

TillrLife
    Cold Spring, MN

Take this for what it’s worth. I used to be a die-hard Fenwick fan. In fact I still have some of the original Fenwick rods. But in the last 10 years I’ve purchased six different Fenwick rods. They all were brittle and snapped within the first year for sure or less. I have numerous St Croix and G Loomis rods. They seem to be flexible and I have yet to break one even with the abuse my clients put them through at times. I’m not sure what changed with Fenwick but they are not what they used to be. I personally will not waste another dollar on a Fenwick rod.

What changed is the guy that designed all of the rods in the late 90s early 2000s(who is a rod genius) left Fenwick. He’s also made the Scheels One rods, when they first came out. I lost touch, but he was very involved with 13 when they first started rod production.

The very best Fenwick rods on the market are the Brown Walleye Elite Techs. If you have one, never let it go.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.