Fawns this year

• Coletrain27

Anyone else notice a lot of twins this year? I saw 6 sets of twin fawns yesterday

stevenoak

Twins are as common as single births. Often when you see a doe with one fawn. She had 2 and only one survived.

Coletrain27

Twins are as common as single births. Often when you see a doe with one fawn. She had 2 and only one survived.

I guess I never noticed so many twins

haleysgold
    SE MN

I posted pics on another thread of a doe with 1 fawn.
    That was the 1st one of the year.
    Since then, every doe seems to have twins. There’s 1 with triplets. The doe is pretty busy keeping track of all 3.

Relatively easy winter in SE MN so not surprising to see a good survival rate.

Reminds me I need to download pics from the camera.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

This year is the least amount of fawns I’ve been seeing in about 18 years by me

Mike m

Ive been seeing alot of does with fawns on the road and side of the road , some with twins . Assuming they are trying to escape the mosquitoes and deer flies in the woods so they head to more open areas . Have seen a few fawns that were hit by cars also , thats sucks to see .

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

I don’t have a single fawn on my camera. I’m getting between 900-1500 pics a week and no fawns. My neighbor does have a pic of a coyote carrying a dead fawn. I’m getting several different does on camera, so am pretty concerned to not have a single fawn.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

SE MN i have never seen more fawns than this year in my 15 years living at our property. they have not chased any of the fawns but our dogs have been busy chasing the moms multiple times. maybe they are doing it on purpose to get the dogs away? good bumper crop of bunnies this year too!

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

I’ve seen an average amount. Maybe slightly less than average.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I’ve seen an average number here along the shores of Pool 4.

It’s definitely the most bunnies I’ve ever seen though

ganderpike
    Alexandria

Less than average, they must be born with pavement magnets to I-94 though.

Lou W

I’ve seen one fawn this year in my travels around leech lake. I’ve seen very few does and no bucks. Way way down from previous years.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Cutting hay I have to really keep my eyes open for fawns laying in the hay field and not willing to move. Hit one once with the discbine really do not want to do that again.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

For the last 3 years a doe has dropped her fawn(s) in the neighbor’s yard. Here are some pics of the neighborhood fawn this year. I think it was born around May 10th.
    Doe and fawn in middle of yard – May 28
    Fawn nursing and laying by fence – June 2
    Fawn by garbage can – June 16th
    Saw it two days ago. It’s still quite small.

Attachments:
    1. fawn-4.png

2. fawn-3.jpg

3. fawn-2.png

4. fawn-1.jpg

Netguy
    Minnetonka

My son snapped this pic yesterday about 1/2 mile from our house. This is most likely the one birthed in my neighbor’s yard.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_2165.jpg

AnotherFisherman

Cool photos Netguy with the timeline! Thanks for sharing.

Seems like I’m seeing about average amount of does/fawns compared to prior years based on my travels.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Last year this doe attacked my 2 year old lab. She had him cornered in the back of my yard. I was in northern MN fishing (first week of opener) and my son ran back to them banging on something to scare her. She stepped on the dog when jumping the fence and took off some hair and scratched him a little in the rib area. So I put up a snow fence so the dogs couldn’t go to the back of the yard, closer to where the fawn was.

This year I proactively put up the snow fence. She came up to the wire mesh fence on the side of my yard when she saw the dogs but did not jump over. 3-4 days later, I had my dogs out for a while and had gone under the porch to the walk out door when the lab that was attacked came scooting back and turned and looked at the neighbor’s yard. He’s got to be looking at something. The doe had come up to the wire mesh fence but did not jump over. My older lab swooped past her and gave a woof. I got the dogs into the house. When I went back out she had hopped the fence and was between the snow fence and the house. I chased her away but it took 5 minutes for her to leave my yard. Then the next day I checked before letting the dogs out and saw this!! shock The beeeeeeotch was waiting to ambush them!! The yard in the background is where she came from the previous day.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0710.png

2. IMG_5257.jpg

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Wowsa! Twins at my cabin just turned into triplets but luckily the doe isn’t aggressive. I’m guessing she took in an orphan.

R Petersen

Not 1 sign of any deer in our yard. Result might be all the old farmers are dead & no planting of crops.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

This pic is from July 11th. My youngest dog was laying in my yard (with the fence in between) and the doe didn’t think twice about him. Later in the year the deer can be within 15 feet (with the fence in between) grazing in my neighbor’s yard and not care.

Attachments:
    1. fawn-7-11.jpg

big_g
    Isle, MN

Seen 2, both roadkills the last 2 mornings. crazy

Nice Fella

We had 3 fawns right in our neighborhood this spring, but now down to 1. I think the neighborhood fox took out one, and the other was roadside so likely a car kill. But the interesting part was seeing an eagle perched on it’s carcass two days ago while I was walking the dog.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Saw the ones pictured above 2 days ago. The fawn is finally starting to show some growth.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.