Brining turkey?

• whittsend

To brine or not to brine?

That is the question….

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

According to Alton Brown, you’d be a fool not to brine!

I, personally, have never done a turkey myself, so I cannot give first-hand advice, but in my book, AB is the man!

Alton Brown Turkey Brine

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Quote:

That is the question….

BRINE!

This is the honey brine I use, also from Alton Brown. I’ve cooked a few dozen turkeys this way, and have had nothing but rave reviews, including last weekend when we did it for a store-bought version that was already in a solution. Brine for 6 hours, and inject the breast and legs all over just before drying and putting on grill.

Honey-Brined Smoked Turkey

Joel

whittsend

Quote:

I, personally, have never done a turkey myself, so I cannot give first-hand advice, but in my book, AB is the man!

Alton Brown Turkey Brine

AB hasn’t let me down yet!

I had already printed his brine recipe, just need to git r done. “)

whittsend

Gonna also do it on the Big Green Egg this year, add a little smoke flavor.. see how it turns out!

Happy Thanksgiving, guys…. Give Thanks, if you can!!!

sauger
    Hastings ,MN

Quote:

Quote:

That is the question….

BRINE!

This is the honey brine I use, also from Alton Brown. I’ve cooked a few dozen turkeys this way, and have had nothing but rave reviews, including last weekend when we did it for a store-bought version that was already in a solution. Brine for 6 hours, and inject the breast and legs all over just before drying and putting on grill.

Joel

Joel,when you say already in a solution.Do you mean it was a self basting or injected with 8% solution? The reason I ask is I have read they can get too salty.I always brine chickens and it is lights out, but they are fresh..

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

AB hasn’t let me down yet!

I’ve got one of his pumpkin pies in the works. Can’t wait

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Quote:

Alton Brown Turkey Brine

I agree, AB is the man!!! Very scientific explanations while teaching very good cooking!!! BRINE!!! Just don’t forget to wear the fire suit if you are going to deep fry it!!!

Mark

whittsend

Quote:

Just don’t forget to wear the fire suit if you are going to deep fry it!!!

Mark

Nope, gonna try this this year. Did a small prime rib on it on Sunday (used some cherry smoking chips)— what an outstanding flavor that smoke gave the beef… It was a little like there was smoked bacon flavor right in the beef…. mmmmmmmmm

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

whit:

Got a friend who sells them over here and he swears by them green eggs. I bet they are grilling machines based on what he tells me…

Mark

whittsend

Quote:

whit:

Got a friend who sells them over here and he swears by them green eggs. I bet they are grilling machines based on what he tells me…

Mark

Grilling, super high temp searing, smoking, brick oven baking… you name it.. awesome results…

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

That is the question….

BRINE!

Joel

Joel,when you say already in a solution.Do you mean it was a self basting or injected with 8% solution? The reason I ask is I have read they can get too salty.I always brine chickens and it is lights out, but they are fresh..

Dan:

8% solution variety, which I think is probably the most common of the supermarket brands. Don’t do the full length brine (6 hours is plenty), but inject brine into the breast and legs just before cooking. I’ve had great results doing it this way. With a fresh bird, I’ll brine up to 12 hours and also inject with brine before cooking.

Brining your avg. butterball or turkey that’s already been doctored up for that 12 hour time frame will definitely make it too salty.

Joel

whittsend

Results from this weekend’s Big Green Egg turkey cooking adventure:

I had a 16 lb frozen store turkey (Standard Jenny-O or Butterball or whatever). Probably was already injected with solution, came with giblets, gravy packet, etc…

I brined the bird in Alton’s brine recipe overnight – probably about 15-16 hours. Took it out, Dried it, covered with olive oil and spices, and put in on the Egg with the plate setter in place (for indirect heating)… I added soaked apple chips at the begining and also 2/3 of the way through the cook. Probably about 3 cups worth of chips in all. It took about 4 hours to cook at roughly 300 degrees. Pulled it at 162 breast temp (~170 thigh temp) degrees and let the temp rise during the 30 min rest.

It was hands down the best taking turkey I’ve ever made, and probably ever eaten. After the rest, it was incredibly juicy – Not a bit of the meat was dry in any way. Juices flowed and dripped while carving the bird… It was definately not too salty, and the apple chips gave it just enough smoke flavor to make your eyes roll back in your head during those first few bites. mmmm-mmmmmmm The gravy from the drippings was also great, and the dark meat seemed to pick up just a litte more of the smoke flavor, which was a real treat…

Sorry I don’t have a pic, but asthetically it was the best looking bird I have ever done also. Perfectly golden brown. The BGE realy is an amazing grill. We also heated the rolls, cooked the stuffing and made a beer bread that evening on the Egg, and made some sticky buns then next morning on the Egg as well since someone spilled butter in my oven and made the house into a smoke factory…

On to making tenderloin tonight on the Egg!

whittsend

One more pic…. Popovers on the BGE, to compliment the Tenderloin

Delicious….

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.